cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Supporting Survivors (trigger warning: sexual assault)

Holla everyone!

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Now that we've talked about some things to do if this session gets a bit much, let's move a bit more into tonight's topic

We often use the word survivor to talk about our experiences, why is that? What are some other ways of talking about sexual assault that support survivors?

Hi @j95 You have made some really good suggestions here - having a glass of water is particularly helpful if you are feeling stressed or triggered as it tricks the brain into concentrating on one activity and not on the anxiety - great work!

@Stingray1 Thats a really good question, something I know works is that you try to identify the signs your body sends you when those feeling start to appear then build up your coping mechanism to manage your way through it, it does get easier Smiley Happy

Hi @Rsg thats a really interesting method of getting your mind off things! Remember to give yourself a break when you need it as well Smiley Happy

Good plan

Rsg

We often use the word survivor to talk about our experiences, why is that? What are some other ways of talking about sexual assault that support survivors?

For me, personally, the labels make me feel worse, and it seems like a label that will eternally be attached to me. I find that any reference of the word or any of the sexual assault labels in reference to myself, even when it's from my psychologist, just horrible and im very quick to change the subject. That's just my own experience.

Hola @stonepixie como esta

@Rsg labels definitely aren't for everyone, but they don't have to define you forever. Whether you choose to label yourself is entirely up to you Smiley Happy

Wow, everyone has some great suggestions here on the forums Smiley Happy Looking out for yourself while looking out for others! 

I think that we use the word 'survivor' because we still perceive those who have experienced such a horrible thing as people. It can be really disconcerting when you encounter others who might 'slut-shame' or even "victim-blame" you about it, even though it's never your fault.  Some 'survivors' don't even like the word 'survivor' and there could be many reasons behind this too. 

Some ways that we can talk about sexual assault that support survivors are: 

- That everyone is different in their recovery process

- You are a not less of a person having gone through these experiences

- And that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel

Even if you may be poking and prodding in the dark for awhile, you will find your way and there are people out there who can guide you.