cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Naomi from Wear it Purple!

What are some of the issues or challenges that Rainbow Young People are facing at the moment? 

I think casual homo(trans/bi/pan/demi/ectphobia) is a big one. Like I'll be having a great day and then someone will be like, 'Hehe, das so gay lol,' and like CAN YOU NOT PLS I WAS THINKING ABOUT COOKIES AND NOW I'M SAD. Also all the shenanigans going down with whatever the hell the government is doing is really draining, especially since it very much concerns me and I don't even get to vote.

original.png

THAT'S THE IMAGE @roseisnotaplant!!!!!!!! That's the ONE! Smiley Very Happy

Anyway @Naomi-wearitpurple @MickWearItPurple you're Sydney based, right? Those sound like awesome moments!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

We sure are! Most of our team is, with a few scattered here and there.

Next Q!!

How can you support people facing issues or challenges with their identity and who they are?

rainbow_gif1.gif

I found 'The One' @N1ghtW1ng? I'm confused...

Yeah that is definitely a tough one @roseisnotaplant! There's unfortunately a lot of stuff that people don't even notice "microaggressions". I also think it could be tough to have to explain a lot, all the time, it's hard when you have an identity that people don't just understand or accept, so there's all this effort and stress associated with helping people understand... and unfortunately sometimes still not being understood. 

This has been touched on before but the best way is probably to listen without judgment and be open to learning a lot of new concepts and challenging old ideas. People are so weirdly attached to things like gender binaries that they would rather invalidate a young trans kid than accept that gender isn't as black and white as they thought. Part of living a good life in general is recognising that everything you know is probably limited in some way and to grow and change along with any new information you learn.

How can you support people facing issues or challenges with their identity and who they are?

Thats a great questions. You can support them by gaining as much knowledge as you can around the rainbow community, respect their identity and understand that it can change as they grow into themselves.

So true @DirtWitch

@roseisnotaplant that's the image I was thinking of when I think "rainbow" and you posted it and I am happy now Smiley Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!