cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Stephanie from Sane Australia on Life with Borderline Personality Disorder

hey everyone Smiley Happy

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Re: [Special Guest] Stephanie from Sane Australia on Life with Borderline Personality Disorder

Hey guys, welcome to our chat about BPD. Smiley Happy And a very warm welcome to @Steph_SaneAustralia!

The first question is this:

What is Borderline Personality Disorder?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Okay good first question to start with!  BPD can be a really complex mental illness.  For lots of us who have been diagnosed we can feel a lot of emotional instability/irrationality and a big fear of abandonment.  This can cause us to have some trouble navigating interpersonal relationships and responses to distressing emotions.  For me I had a lot of "black and white thinking" meaning things were either butterflies and rainbows or an absolute catastrophe that would end up in me feeling suicidal.  It can be caused by lots of things, but generally there is some kind of trauma in your early years that can cause these emotionally distressing responses you develop later in life.

What is Borderline Personality Disorder?

I once heard someone describe it to me as like living with out an emotional umbrella, everything people say or do kind of gets through and that can go from being pretty uncomfortable to very painful if the weather is bad. Also you can get pretty worried about the weather turning bad if you don't have an umbrella, and likewise with BPD you might find yourself going out of your way to avoid the bad weather or feeling very stressed out if it looks like it might rain. 

Not sure if it's the most accurate analogy though! 

That's possibly one of the best analogies I have heard about BPD!

@Ben-RO thats pretty good!!

How about you @scared01 do you feel like sharing? It's okay if you don't feel up to it Smiley Happy 

Thanks for that response @Steph_SaneAustralia. I know it's a really broad question to put to you, but you gave us a really great snapshot of BPD.

And I like that you used the phrase "for lots of us," because I imagine that the manifestations of BPD can really vary from person to person, much the same as with any mental illness

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

@Steph_SaneAustraliathat's a really great explanation - I think there is still a lot of stigma and misunderstanding around BPD, so the more we talk openly about it the better! Thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us too - I'm looking forward to the rest of tonight's chat.

i was only diagnosed with this a few days ago. i hadnt reallt thought of what it was and how it affected people until i was diagnosed with it.

to me BPD is people who have an extreme range of emotions that are hard to control, easily triggered by the slightest thing resulting in a huge emotion.

other than that im not too sure