cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Supporting Survivors Part 2: Life Long Term

Our next question....

One tough part of the experience of surviving assault is dealing with the day-to-day triggers that can come afterwards. What are some healthy ways we can cope with those triggers and hopefully reduce their impact in the long run?

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

thanks @FootyFan26@Chessca_H@Jacinta-SARC@Ben-RO ill be ok, ill take a look back when i feel up to it, too many triggers atm and cant handle any more flashbacks tonight

thats ok @Ben-RO ill just let them run but wont comment, thanks

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hi @FootyFan26,

Kim and I are senior doctors at SARC. We have been working here for more than 10 years each. We see any patient who says they have been sexually assaulted in the last two weeks. We can do tests for STI's, give drugs to prevent pregnancy (morning after pill or emergency contraception) plus anti-biotics to prevent sexually transmitted infections. If the police are involved or if the person might want to involve the police later, we also do examinations to look for injuries and collect forensic specimens (swabs mainly) to look for the assailant's DNA. This is up to the patient to decide. It is the patient's choice at all times and the patient can say stop at any time.

Jacinta and Caroline are both Clinical Psychologists who have been at SARC for many years. They see patients together with the doctors plus they see patients for therapy as well.

We are all being helped by Karin who is an accredited mental health social worker who has worked at SARC for 14 years now.

No worries @scared01 thanks for letting us know, and remember @TOM-RO is on to talk if you need a bit more support to work through any stress this is causing you. We're here for you Smiley Happy 

Hi everyone, sorry I'm late but I'm happy that we're having this conversation and am glad to be part of it Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

@scared01 take care of yourself, we understand this isn't an easy process but you will get there. Glad to hear @TOM-RO is there for your support if needed Smiley Happy

Hi @letitgo

Glad you could join us. Anything we can do?

welcome @letitgo ! Glad to have you on board.

Looks you all have a lot of experience @Moya! Thanks for coming and sharing it with us!

Thank you @Moya @Jacinta-SARC I'm just going to quickly read through the posts I've missed! Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //