cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Supporting Survivors Part 2: Life Long Term

@scared01 thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear that you have had a difficult experience and time with this. I think that is totally okay if u don't want to speak about it with a psychologist. Not everyone feels comfortable with that and sometimes forcing yourself to talk can make you feel worse. It is important to feel ready to talk and equally important to know that it is okay if its something you prefer to move on with Smiley Happy 

yes and unfortunalty ive had to deal with internally and on my own as i dont want anyone else to know about it and for a few yrs i coudlnt remember a thing about it until it was brought up along the lines somewhere else and it all came rushing back, that was the hardest thing to deal with, however as ive been through many traumas and not jsut sexual abuse, ive taught myself how to cope and work around things and really only started getting help the start of this year but that was for another trauamtic event so the skills im learning through that is how im now coping with these things that come up from the abuse memories and thoughts.

the flashbacks i have i havent learnt to control yet as when they come it actually uses all 5 senses where i can see, smell, hear and i can actually feel it happening. i mean from start to finish. so still working on that. so if i can, suggestions would be great for that @Kim-SARC@Moya@CaroSarc @Jacinta-SARC ive tried turning out and using the 5 senses and physically grounding myself however i always tune into the thoughts and feelings rathe rthan tune out. 

sorry i know im not answering or really reading much else on here jsut going along as im tagged

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@FootyFan26 You are so spot on!! We try!

@scared01 Learning to cope with triggers from trauma can be a slow and not always straightforward process, but from what you're saying tonight and what I've seen you post before you've made some great progress Smiley Happy

Good question @Ben-RO, that's not something I know much about either

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Having a good support system in place is so important when it comes to helping a survivor’s wellbeing in the long term, but sometimes friends and family don’t know exactly how to give that support. What do you think the people in a survivor’s life can best support them in their recovery?
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

i did try to speak to a psychologist about it @Jacinta-SARC earlier this year but i couldnt get words out and when i couldnt the psych yelled at me and said 'i cant help you unless you tell the whole story' this was the first session and i never went back and realised the more i thought about talking about it the worse i become so i decided to move on, i had to accept yep it happened and it  is shite however it happened and while it haunts me it is in the past and im safe now

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@Ben-RO

The morning after pill acts mainly by delaying the ovary (in the woman) from releasing an egg. If no egg is released, then if there are any little sperm swimming around, these sperm can swim around and die before the egg is released. So if the egg and sperm do not meet, there will be no pregnancy.

Anybody can buy the morning after pill from a pharmacy. It costs about $30-45. There is normally a questionnaire about how the "sex" came about and whether it was consensual or not. If not, in WA the pharmacy gives out a SARC leaflet to let the person know that there is help available: medically and psychologically.

It is best to take the morning after pill as soon as possible. The normal cut-off time if 72 hours (3 days) after the sex. There is one type of morning after pill that you can take up to 5 days after, but it is not available everywhere yet.

Most everyone can take the morning after pill. It has few side-effects and is generally OK. Sometimes people get there period a bit early after taking it.

Highlighted

@Ben_RO I have actually had chemists/pharmacists refer someone to me at SARC simply because they asked the person 'RU OK?' 'was the sex OK with you?'  when they asked for the morning-after-pill.