cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Supporting Survivors Part 2: Life Long Term

I have a question about the morning after pill if that's ok
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@scared01 Hi - it sounds like you have had a really tough time and been working really hard to look after yourself.  Really glad to hear you have got yourself some help now. it can be lonely and frightening having to deal with these things on your own. Flashbacks can be intense.  You are working on identifying your triggers which is great.  Sometimes having an object or totem - something to hold on to, to remind you that you are now safe can be helpful. Using a mantra or a saying that is soothing can also help; Trying to bring some calm into other areas of your life can also help. Working at your own pace and being kind to yourself is most important.... you are doing well.  Keep talking to a professional that you find helpful as they will be in the best position to help you with where you are at.... all the best.

@j95

Yes of course

Hey @j95,

That is a great question and you are so right with this one. It can be really difficult to access the right support unfortunately. People can firstly help by believing the person, this is so important. Listening and giving them the opportunity to talk about it in their own time and not forcing the conversation is also important. Other things that may help are things like being non judgemental, spending time with them (but also allowing them to have their own space if they wish), even helping them out with their everyday activities or chores can be helpful as people are usually not feeling themselves after a traumatic event. Hope that helps somewhat Smiley Happy

What do you think the people in a survivor’s life can best support them in their recovery?

• Believe them
  • Be supportive of them seeking help but don't push too hard - with gentle help they will find support that works for them in their own time
  • Don't press for details - we only have to share what we feel comfortable and safe sharing
  • Be non-judgmental of triggers and communicate about ways to accomodate them when they happen

I read online somewhere that if you are a male trying to buy the morning after pill on behalf of say your partner who is a woman, they don't let you? Is that true? I can definitely see why that may be true especially in case it was assault. Just thought I would verify what I read...
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@j95

I honestly have not heard of this. I will check later this weekend. Thanks for letting me know.

@j95 I have not heard of that. Sometimes the pharmacist has health or screening questions the want to ask the person before supplying but that is all I can think of. I hope it isn't that way. Has anyone else heard of that?
Highlighted

That's a really interesting question @j95, I'd like to know the answer to that one!

Good night everyone! I look forward to reading through the rest of this chat in the morning. Sorry I couldn't be part of it for longer! 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //