cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Supporting Survivors Part 2: Life Long Term

@Ben-RO Hi ben - really great question.  Community attitudes are a big problem and the answer is always about educating people about respectful relationships and consent. We think education needs to start early and conversations need to be ongoing. We need to be aware of the language we use when we talk about sexual assault and keep using platforms like this that raise awareness and keep conversations alive.    

@Ben-RO I find that commonly girls blame themselves for being assaulted due to the clothes they wear. Perhaps it's too "revealing" and it enticed others. So a way to change this idea for the better is to recognise that the clothes that people wear is not an excuse or an invitation for unwanted approaches.

@Ben-RO

Check out this video on how society can victim blame and how silly it looks when the shoe is on the other foot.

@Ben-RO. That is such a GREAT question. Real change in how our society sees sexual assault would make a real difference. Being respectful of other people is what it is all about. Being willing to put ourselves in the shoes of the survivor is critical. That is where I think we need to educate all members of society.

Just going back through this chat as surprising going ok here.

When I frst disclosed abit of my abuse to the nurse, the very bare minimum she actually picked it up straight away. She asked one question to determine what tests could be performed and after that said nothing and walked me right through the entire procedure.

For me, actually telling her how nervous I was helped me get it out there, she was very understanding didnt pressure any other details besides what sort with one question that required a yes or no answer she could already see how nervous I was so didnt have to say much and we ended up booking a double appointment and lucky we did as I went into complete shock afterwards. She didnt rush me either.

The self blame was horredous and led to sh and wanting to end my life until it clicked one day that how the heck could I have stopped what was going on when I thought it was a 'normal' thing to me until it wasnt and also at that age who wouldve known how to stop it over a larger adult than a child. And when I did try to stop it, they threatened to end their life on my terms so went along with it until it finally stopped after 2 months.

For me, in dealing with triggers, I try to take it as a learning experience. Each time it happenss I actually learn something new whether it be what works, what doesnt work in terms of coping, how long or how often they happen, and what the trigegrs may be so I try to take away soemthing from each memory that comes up.

Also a big thing for me is to remind myself that I am safe, its not happening now. It did happen, acknoweldge the thoughts and feelings but also know that they will end after a time.

@CaroSarc

im not someone who gives up. I try to learn as much as possible. Theres is an opportunity to learn around every corner and coming onto this chat was one of them!

@Serena_Yi

if at first you dont succeed, try and try again and then it makes the success all the more worthwhile. And thank you, your admirable and doing a great job just by being here!

@Jacinta-SARC

ive told her that and she knows. She aslo said to me the way I feel she isnt being held accountabel for. Ill give it a few more sessions, im hoping a lightbulb moment comes along after this and I can see something on how to move forward whether it be move on to another one, work on my own or continue with this current pscyh.

Actually I do have a question while talking about STD/I's

im wondering how common the hpv virus is, the one that can be cleared out of the system within a yr or so. Is it something to be greatly concerned about? @Moya@Kim-SARC

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@Serena_Yi great response- just because someone wears a short skirt does not mean it is okay to have sex with them without their consent. Changing the 'common myths' in society  is a great way to start and we do this mainly through education and forums such as this Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@Serena_Yi

Hi,

I've just posted a clip about video-blaming that tries to debunk the video-blaming culture.

@Serena_Yi Absolutely Serena. What we wear cannot be used as an invitation to hurt, judge or abuse someone.  We have a right to freedom of expression.  

@Serena_Yi one should be able to wear what they like and it never means they are inviting unwanted touching, learing or comments.

@scared01

HPV is quite common. It is often cleared naturally by the body. Luckily now there is a vaccination given to males and females that will prevent HPV infection.