cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Supporting Survivors Part 2: Life Long Term

Well said ben ... psychosocial covers lots of things - it includes all areas of our lives from our emotions, thoughts, physical health, friendships as well as family relationships, school and  workplace environments. 

No worries @scared01 thanks for letting us know. Want me to turn off your notifications for this thread? You can still go back and read when you're in the right head space Smiley Happy

Not a problem at all @scared01, you've got to do what's right for you Smiley Happy

Hey Chessca_H, you are right. The effects can be so broad and everyone may respond a little bit differently, and that's okay. There are many reasons for this, for example, someone who has experienced a childhood trauma may respond a little differently to someone who has experienced this in their adulthood.

@scared01 that's okay. Please make sure tot ake care of yourself Smiley Happy.

@Chessca_H hey Smiley Happy

Hey there, that's no worries. We totally understand that this can be a difficult topic. Take care of yourself and remember that support is always available for you Smiley Happy

That can be really difficult, to bring it up. Simply saying something like  'because of things in my past I find this kind of thing difficult'  or " I don't want to talk about it, but something has happened to me in the past that makes this difficult for me".

Hopefully, the nurse or doctor will pick up on what you are saying.

@Jacinta-SARC absolutely! I've seen different experiences of dealing with trauma written off as somehow being wrong in some way, which is so unhelpful when you're dealing with something like assault.

@Chessca_H it really is, it's the last thing that that person usually needs after dealing with so much already. What is helpful is a validating and non-judgemental response to someone's disclosure of a sexual assault.

@Chessca_H Making your appointment in the morning first thing, knowing you have a choice to say no to the exam if you don't feel up to it, using 'grounding exercises' like breathing, touching the bed to ground yourself, having a trusted support person with you who knows when you are feeling uncomfortable.