cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Supporting Survivors Part 2: Life Long Term

Hi @FootyFan26

Yes thanks. I'm really old ha ha!

What are some healthy ways we can cope with those triggers and hopefully reduce their impact in the long run?

Something that's been really helpful for me is knowing that it's okay to step away and take a moment to do something for myself. I think for a lot of survivors there can be a feeling that you somehow don't deserve to take that time out, but it's so vital. 

On top of that, and I feel like it sounds a little silly, but just being aware of exactly what a triggered response looks like for you and what's likely to set it off has been big for me. It does take a certain level of self awareness to recognise it in yourself and by recognising it you can start to work on changing the cycle.

i know Smiley Happy @Ben-RO

@Jacinta-SARCthanks, ive had to deal with most to whats being talked about including health  exams, memories, triggers, sleep disturbances. the only thing i dont and wont do is go back through it with a psychologist. i let someone know it happened yrs ago but want nothing more than to move forward, not persue anything and not go back into it. 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Glad you could make it @letitgo!

Yes she's older than me!

@j95 Hi Builder.  Good to hear from you. Yes, there can be many things can be triggering following a sexual assault, things that we often may not expect to be triggering.  Triggering means anything that reminds you of something that happened. It can be a touch, sound, smell or something that you have seen that brings back memories.  It is important that you take good care of yourself following a frightening experience and find someone safe to talk to about how you are feeling.  In the moment it can be helpful to remind yourself where you are in the moment- we call this grounding, by bringing ourselves back to the present moment. Because triggers can be frightening it is important to settle ourselves by slowing down our breathing and taking time out in a safe place.     

Hi @Kim-SARC

Yes and shorter too!

@scared01 Wow it sounds like you have done really well to deal with all those things and situations.

@Chessca_H that is a great question and one which I am sure many survivors could find useful. There are different ways of coping with triggers. I think what you said about giving yourself the permission to take a step back and do something for yourself is important. Knowing what your triggers are is equally important in terms of how you will manage in the long run.  So, here is my response Smiley Happy

1) it can be useful to try and identify some of your triggers. These may be different for everyone, and that's okay. Triggers can be sounds, places, certain touches, certain situations and certain looks. For example, someone who was sexually assaulted may avoid watching the news as it can be too triggering for them. I think the first step is to have a think about what your triggers are so that you can learn to manage them.

2) How to manage the triggers! there are many healthy ways to manage your triggers. Strategies that work for some people may not work for others, and that's okay too. You need to find the strategies that work best for u. So, for example, if you are triggered by something on the news and you experience a flashback of something that happened in the past, it can be useful to ground yourself by labelling the environment around you (what objects and colours can you see). This may help to ground you to the present moment, rather than feeling as though you are back in your past. Other things such as deep breathing or listening to some of your favourite music can help. Contacting someone to chat to may also be useful Smiley Happy just to name a few!

@Moya i have some questions about the Morning After Pill, which i have also heard people call Emergency Contraception. 

How does it work, and can a person get it without a prescription and how much time do you have to take it? Is there anything else that's important to know?