cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special Guest] Supporting Survivors Part 2: Life Long Term

and another question for everyone to have a go with too:

Sexual assault is never a survivor’s fault, but feelings of self-blame are very common when dealing with the aftermath of assault. What advice would you give to a survivor struggling with self-blame?

@scared01 Hi again - yes flashbacks can be really intense.  I'm glad to hear you wear a necklace that is meaningful to you. It can take a lot of time and practice to stay grounded when big feelings arise.  Don't give up.  Glad to hear you have some support.  Its ok to talk about what is working and not working in these relationships - an important part of the process.    

@Serena_Yi thanks for sharing. I wonder if this is something that has different rules depending on what state in Australia you're in. I might see if i can get a bit more info from @NurseNettie Smiley Happy 

@Serena_Yi wrote:

Yes I believe you can't buy the morning after pill on behalf of the person. In my experience I have helped a friend by buying it and saying it was for me. But would be difficult for a man to get away with this

@scared01 Sorry to hear that you've had to go through a few psychologists. I hope you will find one that you're comfortable with and one that you're happy to open up to. You're determination and persistance is admirable, that's truly amazing. Just want you to know that it's okay to keep trying, you're doing so well!

@scared01 I am glad to hear that you did not give up after the first psychologist Smiley Happy though sorry to learn that you feel the current psychologist is losing your trust a bit. From my perspective, I always appreciate clients sharing that kind of stuff with me , especially if they feel the therapy isn't helping or if they are feeling scared for what is coming next in therapy. Its important for me to know so that I can work on that or help them with their feelings and I don't take those sort of things to heart because I understand  how hard therapy can be. It sounds like your psychologist at the moment has been working well for some time, so its just an idea to maybe share how you feel. If not then going to another psychologist could also be a good option as not everyone works in the same way Smiley Happy

@Ben-RO

A sexually transmitted infection (STI)  affects the vagina and penis but can also include the mouth and anus/bottom mainly. Some STI's affect the skin such as genital warts or public lice aka crabs. Some STIs are more serious like HIV or Hep B but this is quite uncommon. Most common STIs are easily treated with anti-biotics and will go away and not leave any problems after.

@Chessca_H My advice would be to not be afraid to tell someone about it and that you're not alone.

@Chessca_H Self blame is such a common experience following a sexual assault.  it can be really helpful to talk to someone you trust and feel safe with who can help you think about the experience and offer other perspectives.  Often we are harder on ourselves than others. Many of us can be very self critical which can be painful and distressing.  It can be helpful to think about what you would say to a friend if they were in a similar situation... would you blame them?

@Moyaand I are splitting up this question as it's a big one!
"can you only get them from having sex" ...well there are many forms of 'sex' - oral, vaginal, anal. So any time there is exchange or contact of bodily fluids between two people there can be infection passed on. And people don't realise that.. Oral -vaginal or oral-penile can lead to infections. In the case of pubic lice (sorry) there just has to be contact between pubic hair (lice live on hair - ewwwww!!)
As to knowing if you (or someone else has one) - some of the most common STI's (sexually transmitted infections) have no symptoms. Chlamydia is a good example of this. That is why it is important to get yourself checked if there is any kind of unprotected sex - consensual or non-consensual.

@Kim-SARC @Moya A perhaps common question? Are you able to get STIs when both individuals are each others first sexual partner?