cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Butterfly Foundation- How do you know if you have an eating disorder?

@Chris-Butterfly we have learned a lot about self-harm in the past. Sometimes people self-harm because it's a type of coping mechanism, a way of coping with some really big feelings, intense thoughts or bad experiences. Can controling your eating be a way of dealing with big stressful thoughts or feelings?

Re: [Special guest] Butterfly Foundation- How do you know if you have an eating disorder?

Great question! Yeah it certainly can. For a lot of people it is hard to know how to cope and manage stressful situations or distress. We know eating disorders certainly act as a way of control particularly when everything else in life may not feel in our control. For some being able to control what they eat and their weight becomes a way of managing difficult emotions

This can also be quite concerning though.  As eating  disorders can have a real impact on physical health and functioning as well. 

Well that leads quite well into our next question (which anyone can answer btw!) 

Sometimes we might do things because we’re worried about our body, or change what we eat because we’re stressed. Is that okay and what can we do if we’re worried about it?

Sometimes we might do things because we’re worried about our body, or change what we eat because we’re stressed. Is that okay and what can we do if we’re worried about it?

Moderate changes to diet are normally fine. I think like for most things if you are finding it is having an impact on your enjoyment in life or it is making it hard to go to work, study, see friends or impacting physical health, it is certianly worth speaking to someone about it. We often suggest perhaps speaking to someone you trust about what you are worried about, then maybe speaking with your family doctor as well.

Highlighted

Well I know around exam times, most chocolate is sold out at my local supermarket, along with rice crackers and all that "study food". I think it is okay, as long as it doesn't stay around for a while and you can easily switch back to what you would normally eat. 

If you are worried, you could watch what you are eating, keep a food diary, talk to a trusted person, whether that be a friend, family member or a teacher / counsellor.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

HELLO

I totally failed at life today, I'm really sorry but I am here now! Awsome discussion happening here!

in saying that it can often not be an easy thing to talk to someone else about as well. Often it can be scary to seek help for concerns around eating behaviours. Especially if it does feel as if it is a way of coping or managing stress or emotion. It is common for their to be ambivalence to change because of this. Also the idea of losing a way coping can be scary too

Hmmm, this is a tricky one I find because I'm not really sure where exactly you draw that line? I think sometimes being "healthy" or being fit can get a bit addictive. I also know that when we're stressed is when our body needs food the most so I guess it's about figuring out whats right for you and your body specifically which can take a while to figure out.

Often i think other people notice it in you first before maybe you do, so even just having a healthy discussion around it if not specifically could bring awareness to eating habits

I also find sometimes the way fitness/eating/healthy lifestyle is perpetuated in our social contexts like on facebook and things can make talking about it really weird and hard cause we are kind of always talking about it but not really talking about it. Does that make sense?