cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Butterfly Foundation- How do you know if you have an eating disorder?

Well here's my answer to the question. 

Sometimes we might do things because we’re worried about our body, or change what we eat because we’re stressed. Is that okay and what can we do if we’re worried about it?

Well, i guess it can be risky to not eat right, our bodies need the right amount and the right types of fuel to help us grow healthily and keep our brains ticking over. With that being said, a person will have an eating disorder for a reason, whether that be genetic, social pressures, stresful thoughts or just plain old stress! So if you were worried about it, a great place to start would be to find other ways to deal with the pressure or stress.

It can also be good just to talk about it with someone Smiley Happy  Let a friend that you trust know you're struggling, talk to family, make a post here in the getting help section of our forums or talk to the amazing people at the Butterfly Foundation Smiley Happy 

Re: [Special guest] Butterfly Foundation- How do you know if you have an eating disorder?

Hi Stealth_ninja, I think you are right it can be tricky to know how much is too much. Being healthy and fit can often be addictive and can sometimes spiral out into a bit of problem of it's own. It can be helpful for people to chat to people they trust about something like this that they may feel is getting in the way of their life. 

Just because I've kind of had this experience @Chris-Butterfly - what is the best way to approach someone that we might be concerned about with regard to that because it's kind of hard to do that in a way that someone will listen? Well i find it hard.. it's can be a little invasive? or maybe judgemental to ask someone if they're eating well

Yeah @Ben-RO, there are a some great supports out there to talk to about concerns with your eating or your body image. We have some great and experienced counsellors at The Butterfly Foundation who you can chat that are understanding about eating and body concerns.

That's such a good question @Stealth_ninja

If you’re worried about someone you care about, how can you support them, is there a right way or a wrong way to start a conversation?

Yeah it can be hard to approach someone we might be concerned about @stonepixie. There is no real right or wrong way. We often suggest to avoid topics of food,weight and shape. Which is really hard because that's what we might be concerned about. We suggest perhaps apporaching them about what might be 'underneath' the eating disorder. Such as concern in how they are feeling or that they haven't been keeping in touch with friends. Using "I" statements, such as " I am worried about you..." can be really helpful and less invasive. 

It can be tricky but there is no right or wrong way at all. It can be helpful too if the person you are apporaching is becoming defensive or perhaps denying your concerns. To let them know that you can see it is hard for them to talk about and you are willing to drop it for now but will bring it up again because you care about them and are concerned 

I also remember being told never to have this type of conversation at the dinner table. You have to think about when it might be best to bring this conversation up.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

That's really cool @Chris-Butterfly I like the idea of "underneath" statements a lot! 

Can you give us a couple more examples of things you could say to help omeone feel a little less confronted and a little more comfortable with talking about what they're going through? 

Highlighted

Not to derail the conversation as I can see it's quite structred, but I'm genuinely interested in the topic question itself.... How do you know?