cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Butterfly Foundation- How do you know if you have an eating disorder?

Yeah that really helps @Chris-Butterfly, thanks for that. I think maybe there is a lot of language/media about it that sometimes makes having those conversations harder. I think there can also be a misconception that only people that are a particular shape or size could have an eating disorder when people can maybe be suffering alone

Re: [Special guest] Butterfly Foundation- How do you know if you have an eating disorder?

Yeah great point @stonepixie. We would suggest avoiding approaching someone around meal times and to make sure that you both don't have to rush off anywhere. It can be a difficult to approach and talk about with someone you care about. But providing a non-judgemental space where they can talk about their concerns can be really helpful. There is some great tips on how to approach someone you care about  (as well as some great info and factsheets on eating disorders) at this website: www.nedc.com.au

Hey @CeeGee! Feel free to ask as many questions as you want Smiley Happy 

I shall await @Chris-Butterfly's response Smiley Happy 

Hey @CeeGee Awsome question! 

Highlighted

Hey @CeeGee thanks for the really great question! Yeah it can certainly be tough to know if you have an eating disorder or not but there are some key warning signs. This can include a pre-occupation with food, weight and shape (so much so that it's on your mind most of the time), it may be feeling anxious around meal times or certain food types. There may be rapid or frequent changes in weight, difficulty with sleep or concentrating, for girls loss of their period. As well as behavioural signs like a lot of dieting, excessive exercising and for some people may be purging (vomiting) after eating. 

And while we await Chris's answer, i thought i'd squeeze one more question in that anyone can answer!

What’s okay and what’s not okay? Is it okay to go on a diet or work out a lot? Is it okay to not like something about your body?

Again sometimes it can be hard to draw the line as we have mentioned on what may be healthy or not so healthy. Certainly if physical health is being impacted and if there are rigid rules around what someone should eat, when they eat. or where (it may be kept very private for someone people as social eating can be scary) then it is worth perhaps speaking with someone about it.

What’s okay and what’s not okay? Is it okay to go on a diet or work out a lot? Is it okay to not like something about your body?

This again is really tough because I dont know where the line is. I think it's good to be healthy but maybe it's everything in moderation and what is the "underneath statement" which I learned from @Chris-Butterfly today! 

Awesome @Chris-Butterfly  is there anything you could say to help people feel a bit more comfortable with reaching out for the first time about this? 

Another great question @Ben-RO. Which I think I partly answered just now Smiley Happy Certainly moderate changes to diet and exercise is fine. When it would be concerning is if physical health was being impacted and that if functioning in life has been too. It is really normal to not like everything about your body but if that dislike is causing stress or anxiety it can be helpufl to talk to someone about it.