cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] CanTeen - I've tried everything, now what?

What’s it like to be living with an illness that’s taking a long time to recover from?

Well i love the Spoons analogy. Which might take a little while to explain...but basically having a chronic illness means a lot of the energy and resources you have each and every day are taken up by illness stuff, whether that be symptoms of the illness or just feeling tired all the time. So you have less energy or "spoons" to spend on day to day life stuff, like going to work, solving problems or doing fun things like adventures! 

That in turn is frustrating and upsetting. You can feel like you're missing out on things that other people just take for granted Smiley Sad 

and its also pretty exhausting having to constantly be on top of appointments, having to sometimes explain yourself to multiple people etc etc
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

Definitely @j95! I think this feeling of needing to "explain yourself" or expain to people e.g. friends, managers, work colleagues where you are going or why you have doctors appointment etc can become really frustrating and tiring in itself!

Thats a really good point @j95, it can take a while to explain what its like to someone who isn't living with a chronic illness. And if you have to do that for lots of people... well that can be exhausting just by itself! 

Its been something I've had to deal with a lot over the last few months, with coming off meds the effects of that, then going back on and the effects of all that too, it can feel like its never ending!

@j95 before you get a snooze, do you want to pick the next question to ask? 

Next Q

What can you do if you feel like you’re going backwards and that you are putting in hard work and getting no result?

That is a tough question!!

What can you do if you feel like you’re going backwards and that you are putting in hard work and getting no result?

I thiink the textbook answer is something like, re-evaluate your strategies and try and approach it another way but when it's your life and its effecting you so much its so hard to be in the right headspace for that to happen. I think that there are things that work for some people and other things that work for others so its kind of like roullette until you find the right one and then it's like BINGO. 

I dont really have a good answer to this question so really looking forward to your answer @MaddyCanTeen

What can you do if you feel like you're going backwards and that you are putting in hard work and getting no result?

Such a tricky question @j95! You sure picked a doozy! I think part of the answer is appreciating what's happening now, and that's good rather than spending too much time on what's lost, or what's not happening or working right now. I don't want to sound like that's going to make everything better, but a lot of people say it helps a little Smiley Happy 

This is why we do a lot of stuff like Negatives into positives, and 3 positives for the day and letting the negative self-talk go.

Maybe we need one for accepting tough stuff that's happening @MaddyCanTeen?

What can you do if you feel like you’re going backwards and that you are putting hard work and getting no result?

Great question @j95. I think this is a really common experience for people who are living with a chronic illness. I think feeling like you are going backwards even when you are putting so much of your time and energy into trying to move forward it can be really frustrating. 

I think it is important that when we start to notice ourselves "going backwards" that we try and tune into this as soon as we can. Once we are tuned into this we are more likely to be able to put the breaks on and try and get an idea of why we are moving in the opposite direction to where we want to go. 

Once we get to this stage I think it is then again about again incorperating some new strategies into our daily life, slowing things down and trying to approach things with this non-judgemental and open mindframe. If we can work on focusing our thoughts on the present and allowing ourselves to reflect on the past and think about the future from the position of openness and being non-judgemental then even if we potentially see some good and some more difficult times in our future or reflect on up and down times in our past we won't be as significantly imacted by the thought of these.

Ohter things we can do are things like creating a gratitude diary so even on days where everything feels really hard if we can work towards identitfying 1 thing that went well in your day - even if it was just the sun came out that can be a great way for these more difficult times not to get the better of us =)