cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Live chat with Katherine Hicks for RUOK? day!

Hey guys, hope you all have a good chat 'cause I'm skipping off for a bit of chill time.

Why is RUOK important? Because checking up on other people is super important because people don't often share and sometimes it's made to be bad to share but days like this one make it okay and even "cool".

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hey hey everyone Smiley Happy

Why is it so important to ask RUOK?

I think it's important because there are a lot of people in our lives who matter to us, but we don't necessarily often take the time to check in with them and see how they're doing. Everyone has things going on that make them feel various ways, but sometimes the personal connection is missing and they don't feel comfortable sharing what's up if something is bothering them. Asking RUOK is a way to show someone that you care about them and how they're doing, and it can be a way to let them know that they're not alone with whatever they're dealing with.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

Yeah I get what you mean @RevzZ there seems to be this thing about remaining strong and not showing your vulnerability - but I think society is slowly getting better at accepting that men have feelings too
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@RevzZ gender is definitely a huge factor! Somehow we've developed this awful idea as a society that to be masculine you have to hold in all of your emotions, which leads to some pretty bad consequences on men's (espeically young men's) mental health.

Research shows that stigma is the main thing that stops people asking for help. Stigma is defined as 'a mark of disgrace' We feel culturally ashamed to show that we are vulnerable. What we need to do is build a strong positive community where we feel we can talk about mental health and well being
Highlighted

@N1ghtW1ng that's alright, have a good chill Smiley Happy

Btw I just realised I hit 10,000 posts 🎂🎉
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@Ben-RO I think there's a barrier that makes people reluctant to ask for help because it can be scary and hard to open up, be vulnerable with someone, and say that you're actually not doing so good.

@j95 whoa that's epic! Congrats! We need some kind of medal or something! 

Hey @Bay52VU!

I think you make a relly great point that you can see a person almost everyday, but never ask them the questions that would get them to open up if they're having a hard time. Always good to remind the people you care about that you're there for them Smiley Happy