cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Live chat with Katherine Hicks for RUOK? day!

sorry guys i dropped off for a minute

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Have you ever told someone you were not OK? If you feel like sharing, tell us a little bit about it! 

When i was younger I definitely was asked and i definitely said i was ok when i was not ok Smiley Tongue 

It took me a long time to feel comfortable with opening up. When i finally started talking, it was pretty awesome, because i no longer had the huge pressure of feeling like i had to carry things on my own. It was still pretty scary at first, but 110% worth it. 

TG

@Ben-RO oops, had signed up quickly when Kate posted the link on FB, afraid I'm over the age limit Smiley Sad Time to crash here anyway, have a great forum chat! 

Thanks @TG I'll take a look.

Have you ever told someone you were not OK? If you feel like sharing, tell us a little bit about it!
I have quite a few times but mostly anonymously online. It's just not comfortable at all to do it in-person and I feel ridiculously bad after doing it. Whereas it's a bit easier and less confronting to do anonymously.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

I have a few times... I can't really think of just one example, theres a few. I think the biggest thing would be when I was a bit younger and things were definitely 100% not ok and I'd been hiding things for so long and even when people ask me if things were ok I'd just say yeah its all fine but one day I actually told someone I wasn't ok and  it made a huge difference

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

I am lucky that I have a few very close friends and I have been able to open up to. It is a balance for me of pride and resilliance. I was encourage to always be very resiliant and I am grateful for that ... but it does mean that i can take everything onto my own shoulders and not ask for help. My closest friends can read me like a book and will always check in and ask me whats going on. I must say for myself trusting someone enough to show those vulnerabilites is the biggest thing! I guess thats why acting is a great outlet becasue you can experience so many feelings and express them safely Smiley Happy

@Bay52VU Totally agree that anonymity makes things a helluva lot easier.

@Ben-RO That reminds me of the point @Bay52VU said earlier. Asking someone about how they're doing would be expected to be of a lesser frequency in independent cultures as opposed to collectivists.

Highlighted

I have! It was in the middle of my year 12 exams. I was frantically revising - convincing myself I was going to fail and my mind went blank. I couldn't remember anything. I felt this serious sense of panic that lasted the entire sleepless night. Next day I looked pretty awful. I was about half an hour away from an exam and my best friend Nicky saw me and was like what is going on??? I burst in to tears and it all came flooding out. The weeks and months of anxiety. That sense of relief and release was amazing! That was the first time I'd admitted things weren't so good. I'm so glad I did!!

Thanks for your contributions @TG! If you're a parent, then perhaps consider helping out on our Parent's community Smiley Happy