cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Live chat with Katherine Hicks for RUOK? day!

I know that if I start opening up something and I feel the person isn't really listening to me/is really just waiting for their turn to speak I'm like yeah hmm ok doesnt matter
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

If someone says they're not OK what are some things you can do next? 

Going with them for a walk in an open area. It can make a difference between feeling cramped and sitting across from someone at a table to being in a wide open area.

Also making sure that they have sufficient support (both social and professional) are important things in my opinion, depending on the severity. 

And maybe a hug! Heart (If it's ok with them)

@j95 very good point, we need to give people the tools and skills they need to give good support! 

Encouraging someone to take action is really important -
Asking 'is there someone you can talk to?' 'what could we do together to help with this?' and also knowing what support system are out there for you. There are some amazing organisations that work to really support people who are struggling!

Like this
http://au.reachout.com/Emergency-Help

You don't have to be the expert but the support who gets your mate to connect with the right support and to know they're not alone

@Katherine-ruok Definitely agree and love what you said about not needing to be an expert Smiley Happy

Highlighted

RUOK? has a great list of support available too!

https://www.ruok.org.au/findhelp

@Katherine-ruok it's so important to remember that there are organisations out there full of awesome people who can help if someone is going through a really tough time!

Remember that you can actually call or webchat if you want to know more about what you can do to support someone you care about too Smiley Happy 

And that's all we have time for! Thanks for coming everybody this was a really amazing chat!

Special thanks to @Katherine-ruok and @anastasia_ruok for helping us learn heaps tonight! 

Goodnight everyone Smiley Happy (Also the bulldogs are beating west coast how cool is that?)

If someone says they're not OK what are some things you can do next? 

I think its important not to flood them with resources... but also give them sufficent resources, you don't want to seem like you're pushing them onto other places, but you also have to mindful of how much support you can give. 

Possible things 

- Offer to help book or attend any appointments, or speak to other people about whats going on alongside them

- Letting them know that you're availible to listen if they still need it/will need it in the future

- Be a friend, just be for them whether or not they say they need help, by this I mean just hang out and let the person know you're someone that is going to be there and genuinely care through good times and bad.

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//