cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Live chat with Katherine Hicks for RUOK? day!

Hey @j95, glad you could join us!

Likewise @Ben-RO, though I've had this in the back of my head the whole day anyway haha. Wasn't gonna miss this on.

Hi!

Why is it so important to ask RUOK?

Perhaps somebody close to you may be hiding that they aren't feeling so great, they may be scared and unsure about who they can open up to, asking R U OK is letting them know you are there to listen and opening up a conversation that the person may of been struggling to initiate 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@RevzZ Awesome RO commitment, love it Smiley Happy

It can start an important conversation. Like things might seem fine but really not be, and they might be looking for the opportunity to ask for help, or just talk to someone. Also it let's people know that you care about them and are looking out for them. Also probably other reasons, what do you guys think?

Great question to start off with @Ben-RO. For me, someone who has a mental illness, I value above almost anything else the support of my friends and family. It was their ability to see that I wasn't travelling so well and willingness to say, "Hey, you don't seem yourself. Are you ok?" that was the first step to me getting help. Now-a-days regular, meaningful conversations with my family and friends help keep me on track. So, I think it's important to ask the question because it can make a difference Smiley Happy

You never know whats going on for someone unless you ask. Starting a conversation is the easiest way to let someone know you care. Stigma is the main reason people do not ask for help.

Asking the question literally saves lives. This is a really tough fact, but suicide is the leading cause of death for young people living in Australia . One of the things that can make someone feel like ending their life is feeling isolated, like they have noone to talk to about what they are going through. When you ask RUOK you break through that isolation and that's pretty awesome! 

I agree with this @Chessca_H, especially for guys in particular. It's hard to get some friends to speak sometimes because they want to maintain this "strong" attitude that they're always ok, even if they themselves might not know.

Hmm so it seems to me that it's hard to talk about what's happening when you're not OK? Is there some sort of barrier that we feel that stops us from asking for help? What's up with that?