cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] The elephant in the room

It sounds to me like we don't know too much about Batyr just yet, thank goodness we have @Nic - Batyr and @Steph - Batyr on.

Could you two tell us a bit more about your amazing organisation?

Who’s heard of Batyr before? Tell us what you know about them!

I know a fair bit about Batyr. They were developed by a uni student who struggled alone through tough times without anyone realising what he was going through for a while.

He decided he didnt want others to go throught he same and that we needed to start talking to each other about the things we go through. So he started Batyr!

Now Batyr help people to write their own stories safely and then offer them a safe space to present to other young people. To spread the word and start conversations.

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

Can I quickly ask... How do you pronounce Batyr? Is it Bat-yer? Otherwise I'll be wondering the whole time lol

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

Bat-ear? I think thats how you explain it @Bay52VU

and.... hello! Thanks for joining us Smiley Very Happy
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
Highlighted

It's awesome hearing what people have heard of! And it's great to meet everyone who hasn't yet heard about us before now Smiley Happy I think a few of you hit the nail on the head, but basically we use story telling as a way of reducing stigma and empowering young people to take charge of their wellbeing. We run programs at schools and uni's to smash the stigma surrounding mental health, and a main way we do this is by having young trained speakers share their stories, focussing on how they reached out for help and how they manage their wellbeing today. 

Nailed it @CICI! You really only missed the bit about Batyr being the name of an elephant in Kazakhstan that could speak a bunch of Russian! Plus what @Steph-Batyr saidSmiley Happy

I always pronounced it "Bat Ear" but now i am wondering if this is like that time when i finally learned how to pronounce Hermione properly like 4 books in...

I'm here! I'm here! Smiley Very Happy

Who’s heard of Batyr before? Tell us what you know about them!
I've never heard of them before.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

@Bay52VU you aren't the only one who wasn't sure how to pronounce it after reading it for the first time! 

@Ben-RO I only know how to say Hermione because of the movies!