cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] The elephant in the room

If you are thinking about writing and telling your story, what are some of the important things to do to make sure you look after yourself at the same time?

right ok, i think i get it.
- making sure you are in the right head space to be tackling something that can be quite confronting and possibly bring back some horrible stuff.
- taking some breaks

and lots of people can support you like friends, family, your support services like a counsellor.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thanks for asking for clarification @j95! Not dumb at all! This is what these conversations are about!

What we are referring to is going back through your experiences and putting them into a story, a real story.

It can actually be a lot harder than you might think. Batyr run a workshop all about it, where they help you start and practice how to write your story. It is important to do it safely, because going back through your past can be overwhelming and exhausting. It is also hard because it is balance the tough times with the victories and support.

You might write it just for yourself. You might write it so you can give a coherent answer if anyone ever asks you about what you have been through. You might write it so you can present it to other with organisations like Batyr who present to schools and universities.
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

I'm gonna pass on this ???. I don't know

Absolutely, @N1ghtW1ng!

Some parts of your story you may never share with anyone. Other parts might only be appropriate for certain audiences.
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

ohh right @CICI i think i've done that on here before
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Everyone has a story. But not everywhere is a good place to share it, whether for yourself or others. Talking about what you have been through and what you do to look after yourself is important to create positive change but not everyone is comfortable to tell parts of their story, or any of it. Which is fine!

I think @FootyFan26 it could be what you would do when you want to tell someone about your mental health. Like, how you would go about doing it, who you would talk to for support.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Thats okay @FootyFan26. Hopefully some of the answers everyone is providing will give you some of your own ideas later on Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Yeah, totally @j95!!! RO is a really great medium to tell stories (it is a little less scary that standing in front of people, and has the safety of being completely anonymous).

A lot of our guidelines are in place especially to ensure that stories are told safely! But sadly we cannot help support people through the process of writing their stories and debrief in the same way Batyr do during their presentations.

Good point @Nic - Batyr @N1ghtW1ng. I think the word "story" can sound quite large and formal in terms of sharing about someone's life from beginning to end. Someone's story can be in the form of a conversation with a friend or family member telling them about how they've been feeling. A story can also be talking to a mental health professional about what you've experienced. At Batyr, we train young people to learn how to share their stories in a safe way, whether that's having a safe conversation in an intimate setting, or at the school and uni programs we run.