cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] The elephant in the room

I guess we have all chatted about how talking about mental health can be difficult sometimes because of things like stigma, which I guess brings us to the next question:

It can be tricky to talk about mental health and stay positive, what are some things you can do to talk about mental health in a positive way?

Oooh yeah, I hadnt considered the benefits of writing your story so you can share it with mental health professionals!!! That is such a great idea @Steph - Batyr!!!!!

Especially if you dont feel up to re-telling it all the time. You could just give them a copy of the written one, if that was appropriate for the situation, so you could then spend more time talking about the things you need to talk to in the now.

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

It can be tricky to talk about mental health and stay positive, what are some things you can do to talk about mental health in a positive way?

It could help to mix in positive strategies like self-care or positive self-talk in with talking about the difficulties and the struggles. Of course, it's important to talk about how mental health issues can have a negative effect on our lives, but its also useful to share stories of how we cope and who we ask for support

Highlighted

Not going into too much detail about the tough times.

Not focusing on things that didnt work.

Emphasing the ways you sought help and the different options available.

Especially talking about the things you did that helped you improve.

Talking about the skills you have learnt and how you developed them.

Talking about the times you felt listened to and supported by others and what it was they did that made you feel that way.

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

It depends on what you mean by stay positive. I mean, you can talk about how much it sucks, but that's not bad exactly. Not positive, but not stigmatic, does that make sense? I mean, when talking about mental health, don't use bad words and talking about how people are weak if they have it and they're wrong or broken or crazy for having these issues. Because that's wrong. Untrue and completely wrong.
I can, when talking about mental health, being open about it. I don't have to share about myself, but being kind and defending mental health when people are being negative about it, negative in the way of 'crazy' not so much when they're saying 'it sucks'.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Definitely @safari93. We have seen the best ways to share stories is through focusing on not just the tough times but the options for reaching out for support and the ways people look after themselves. This helps others see the options out there and gives insight into how it may be able to help them too. Plus just chatting about mental health starts to stop the stigma as it stops being a negative and starts being something we just need to check in on each other about.

@N1ghtW1ng that's a really good point! Positive should mean supportive as well, and not reinforcing stigma

I think there's a few ways to do this, one of them is to make sure you keep things in perspective, help people know what there's a bit of a journey towards recovery, it takes time, but its heaps possible. I think it's also important to remember the assetts and the good things that you have in your life, talk about the good supports you have and the amazing skills you have learned.

- Looking to the future
- Talking about what has worked, rather than what hasn't
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Most definitely @j95!

I think that also goes into the focusing on the little wins, kinda like we have been doing a lot more on RO recently Smiley Happy