cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] The elephant in the room

because others can brush it off like its no big deal, but actually the person who is having problems with their mental health is struggling massively
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

That's such a good question @Steph - Batyr!

We totally agree with that @FootyFan26! As @Ben-RO said this isn't always easy for people but definitely very important!

I think it also doesn't help that you can't usually 'see' mental illness in the same way as you would see a physical illness, so sometimes it might feel like a person admitting to mental illness is admitting to something which doesn't seem real to others

I think that if someone talks about the elephant, it makes it easier for others to do it too.

In answer to your question Steph, I think because it's mental, which means it's not physical and can't be seen so it's not there.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

yeah that's what I was getting at @safari93
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Some people just tell you to get over it or your just exaggerating.
People might also not want to hear it because they don't want it to affect them.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@j95 true! Sorry, I didn't see your post while I was writing mine heheh

I feel like more judgment comes from admitting you have a mental illness compared to a physical injury. Physical injuries can be very clear at times, mental illnesses may not be.

@ClCl We feel we need to handle our mental health ourselves because it's ours. It's a mental, non-physical thing and because others can't see it, it's something only you feel, it's something only you can fix or deal with. And I agree, there should be more focus placed on mental health and dealing with it. Not just stress from studying and exams, general mental health.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!