cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] The elephant in the room

There are so many amazing ideas guys!! We're smashing it!! I'm finding it hard to keep up, cant wait to read back through again!

If you are thinking about writing and telling your story, what are some of the important things to do to make sure you look after yourself at the same time? Who can support you?

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

@Nic - Batyr yes! Stories are so much more interesting and engaging than facts and figures.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

If you are thinking about writing and telling your story, what are some of the important things to do to make sure you look after yourself at the same time?
- Making sure you're in a safe place.
- Stopping if you need to.
Who can support you?
- Family members
- Close friends
- Online support services
- phone services and so on.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

If you are thinking about writing and telling your story, what are some of the important things to do to make sure you look after yourself at the same time? Who can support you?

I'm not sure if i understand this question, like what is your story exactly and in what context would you be writing it? feel so dumb right now haha

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

I think @j95 your story is your journey with mental health, your experiences.

Yes! So many important things @N1ghtW1ng.

Really great you have recognised that you need to be in a safe space (physically and emotionally and mentally) and stop if you need to. And those personal and anonymous people to help you through it Smiley Very Happy
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

The context being you want to share with people what you've been through, I think.

It helps to know a bit about the signs where you might be getting triggered or overwhelmed, and ways of self-care. I also think it's useful if you're telling your story, to give yourself time and breaks and a way to talk to someone if you need to.

As for who, I guess whoever it is you feel most comfortable talking to about it? Someone who won't judge and allow you to talk about your feelings without trying to define them for you or dismissing them, etc

@j95 definitely don't need to feel dumb, that's a really good question. Everyone has a story, and everyone's story is different. I think for tonight the focus is on stories of mental health and how we can give a voice to our journeys to start positive conversations and smash the stigma around this topic.

@j95

If you wanted to push back on stigma, well one way to do it is to talk about your own experiences, BUT that comes with a few tricky things to think about, because it might remind you of stuff that could be triggering, or sometimes some people aren't ready to hear your story. So I guess this question is to help us think a bit more about how to look after ourselves if we want to tell our story Smiley Happy