cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Thinking about Drinking with Hello Sunday Morning

If someone was to decide to cut back on drinking, what could be some of the things that might make it tricky?

I think the social aspect would make it difficult, especially if you were surrounded by people who drank quite frequently. It can feel a bit alienating not being able to be involved in that sort of social aspect.

If someone was to decide to cut back on drinking, what could be some of the things that might make it tricky?

-Feeling socially anxious without it
-Peer pressure (can be really subtle or really overt)
-Relying on alcohol to relieve feelings
-Wanting to have more fun

@May_ wrote:
@Ben-RO can definitely relate to the scheduling Sunday mornings....well not just the mornings...for recovery. I didn't know this was such a common thing that someone made an org about it hehe

Haha yes it does resonate doesn't it..........I imagine the McDonalds drive throughs are really busy on Sunday mornings with hungover people trying to escape their pain!

A bit of background on HSM - the organisation started because our founder stopped drinking for a period of time as he was finding that he wasn't really getting much from drinking - and a whole lot of people started following his blog that he wrote about his experiment - hence Hello Sunday Morning!

That's awesome @Briony-HSM Smiley Very Happy the only Sunday mornings I can recall are when I go to markets and I'm always surprised by how many people are out and about

My local chip shop says they are so busy late Sunday mornings with people coming in their trackies and uggboots to buy chips and gravy
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@Briony-HSM do you know why people crave oily/unhealthy food after drinking... Smiley Tongue

Ps. I'm sometimes one of those people Smiley Tongue
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@FootyFan26 wrote:

Next question...

5. If someone was to decide to cut back on drinking, what could be some of the things that might make it tricky?

These questions are great guys Smiley Happy 

I would say that there are a number of things to consider: 

• What will my friends say? 
  • I don't want to seem boring
  • I don't want to seem rude!
  • I won't be able to go out/have fun/cut loose

Like we were discussing with the previous question, generally in social situations it is almost expected that we'll have a drink and to say no might result in lots of questions or pressure. 

The good news is, that most of the time if we are clear about our decision, most people back off. I've spoken to lots of people who are so worried about not drinking at social events, only to find that everyone else is focussing on their own stuff and not many people even notice.When you think about it, not drinking to excess is a really personal decision - not really anyone else's business. I wouldn't have a go at you if you told me you weren't having dessert because you were on a diet, or that you were going on holidays to New Zealand this year.........choosing not to drink for a bit is the same thing.

The other thing we've touched on is that sometimes us not drinking will trigger something in other people - so our friends might think we're judging them if we're sober and they are drinking. it can be good to be clear to them that while you're not going to be drinking a lot for a while, you have no problem with them doing that. Sometimes those close to us are really worried about us changing and challenging them, and it can be good for you to emphasise that this isn't about them - its about you! 

And the question for the evening...

What are some tips or tricks and support options that could help if you're thinking about cutting back or even quitting?

@May_ wrote:
That's awesome @Briony-HSM Smiley Very Happy the only Sunday mornings I can recall are when I go to markets and I'm always surprised by how many people are out and about

Yes Sunday mornings are underrated aren't they! But also excellent for catching up on sleep or reading a book. 

My cat seems to know it is Sunday as he sleeps until at least 9am and doesn't walk around meowing like he normally does!