cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Thinking about Drinking with Hello Sunday Morning

What are some tips or tricks and support options that could help if you're thinking about cutting back or even quitting?

I think its a good idea totalk to someone about how you are feeling and getting support from someone you trust, whether it is family, friends or even an alcohol or drug counsellor.

@May_ wrote:
@Briony-HSM do you know why people crave oily/unhealthy food after drinking... Smiley Tongue

That is a really good question. Apparently a big part of it is that when we're hungover, our poor bodies are hurting and most of our willpower is gone....so we tend to give in to our impulses (while on a normal day we would be more in adult mode and considering how awful we'll feel after that box of chicken nuggets). 

Apparently it is also something to do with dopamine (gearing us towards pleasurable activities) as well as a chemical called galatin, which increases appetite for fats and junk food - galatin is increased by alcohol consumption. 

Plus after a night of consuming calories mostly from alcohol your stomach is probably empty of food and needing energy to start the recover process. I have no idea why people crave pickles so much from hangovers though - though perhaps your taste buds are impacted by drinking for a long time so there is a need for some really tasty and salty foods. 

@Briony-HSM thanks for clearing that up. Definitely a major down side of drinking.

What are some tips or tricks and support options that could help if you're thinking about cutting back or even quitting?

Hmm talking to people about your drinking and maybe asking them how they manage their drinking. Or seeking some advice from a professional. Other than that I'm not too sure

Well it is 9:30 which signifies the end of tonight's Infobus.

A HUGGEE thankyou to @Briony-HSM for joining us tonight and sharing all her knowledge and tips with us! It is greatly appreciated and very insightful! Smiley Happy

Thanks for everyone who joined us for the chat and I hope you have a good night! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks so much for joining us tonight @Briony-HSM!!! Goodnight everyone thanks for the chat Smiley Very Happy

@SmileMonkey wrote:

And the question for the evening...

*my time to shine!!*

It would be ridiculous of me not to mention Hello Sunday Morning here as a good option if you're looking at making some changes. The website is great and there is lots to read there if you're looking for some advice and support.

We also have an app called Daybreak which has a community of people who are supporting each other (sort of like you guys here) which is amazing and supportive, as well as health coaching which can help you to get some individual advice about cutting back or stopping altogether. 

As for other things - in your state and territory there will be helplines and also online counselling services that you can connect with to speak to someone about this. As well as face to face services that would be free in your area. 

In terms of general things, here are some tips: 

• talk to your friends about this, and what kinds of things they have noticed about their own drinking or yours
  • think about what you would like your relationship with alcohol to be like - in an ideal world!
  • get reading online - there are lots of great websites with support from communities who are going through a similar thing
  • understand that behavior change can take time and it is always good to get some professional advice - this is especially the case if you're drinking a lot and want to stop - for some people if they stop suddenly (after drinking every day for a while) this can be really dangerous, so if you fall into this category, speak to your GP before doing anything
  • think about it not so much as a problem or addiction, but as a coping strategy - we all drink for different reasons ,but if you can pinpoint the major issues that are leading you to drink, and get some support, you might find that drinking stops being as much of a problem.

As i said, there is lots of support out there so please feel free to get in touch Smiley Happy 

@FootyFan26 wrote:
Well it is 9:30 which signifies the end of tonight's Infobus.

A HUGGEE thankyou to @Briony-HSM for joining us tonight and sharing all her knowledge and tips with us! It is greatly appreciated and very insightful! Smiley Happy

Thanks for everyone who joined us for the chat and I hope you have a good night! Smiley Very Happy

THanks guys, it was great! Even though QLD lost the State of Origin tonight I will still remember it as a good night Smiley Happy 

*edit - QLD staged a last minute comeback so it has been a great night all round!

That is an amazing answer @Briony-HSM!

As @FootyFan26 we're out of time! Thank you all so much for coming and digging into the discussion tonight. I'll post answers to the anonymous questions tomorrow and as always if you want to chat more about this or have questions, just make a post and ask about it here. Or go visit Hello Sunday Morning Smiley Happy 

Night night everybody!