cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Special guest] Twenty10 talks about coming out.

Really well spoken @milohunto!!

If you decide to invite your friends and family, It’s important you do it in a way that makes you feel comfortable and safe. What’s the best way to tell your family and friends for you?

For me it was one at a time, and I suppose it was a little easier to do it that way because my family is all over the place. It was also less daunting than telling everyone at once. I knew my family to be quite accepting and tolerant of diversity so I felt comfortable letting them know once I felt comfortable with who I was.

If you decide to invite your friends and family, It’s important you do it in a way that makes you feel comfortable and safe. What’s the best way to tell your family and friends for you?

Oh man, I wrote an in depth response and lost it. Smiley Sad

For me a bit of distance is needed and to be in woven generally into a converation.

F/F: How have things been?

Me: Oh good I've been doing A, B and C. Oh and Im questioning my gender identity. Im feeling like this at the moment ....

Having said that though. I did this with my mum and she just kinda brushed it off as "me wanting to be more practical" (in regards to clothes and the like). I was a bit shocked coz usually my mum is super supportive and listens well. I think Ill just leave it a bit before talking about it more. Although I had all my hair cut off today so it will be interested to see how she responds.

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

This chat was awesome guys and thanks to everyone for coming! And awesome-specially-amazing thanks to the supertastic guests!!!! Smiley Very Happy
Thanks for coming, good night and have an awemazing weekend!!!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

I forgot to mention, I'm saying good bye because I'm heading off. Smiley Happy Thanks again!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Thanks for coming along and sharing your great perspective @N1ghtW1ng Smiley Happy
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

Goodnight @N1ghtW1ng! Thanks for joining us and for your awesome responses Smiley Very Happy

For me? Slowly, slowly, slowly. 

Friends knew first, but I was really privileged in being involved in a lot of university  and queer circles where i could start asking people to use they pronouns without it necessarily being a formal announcement. Over time i started asking everyone to use those pronouns, but it was a very gradual process. 

With family, I came out as a lesbian in high school, then bi, then queer. Each time, I talked to my mum first, very gently and over a few days. Then my dad. We're working on gender neutral pronouns together-- which takes a fair bit of energy and time on my part, I have to say. Personally, I'm glad I waited to disclose my gender identity until I had lots of other folks around me who affirmed my gender and i guess myself. 

Not one that I have any personal experience with, but let's see... For my family I think I'd want to have a giant list of possible questions and answers and just be ready with all the answers (even if it's "I haven't figured it out yet, but when I do I'll let you know!"). For friends I think I'd just be myself and wait until the topic came up somehow and they asked or discovered. Although this is all speculative!

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Highlighted

@CICI cutting of your hair, that's awesome and must feel super liberating. Good on you! I think it's hard for people to process sometimes so they brush it off..maybe that's what your mum has done? That's awesome that you brought it up with her, again, good on you!