cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Talking about suicide on social media - have your say!

This is very difficult though, because sometimes people just don't see things on social media. If you're like me and 'follow' lots of people, you miss stuff when you're not online. I worry that this gets misconstrued as ignoring the person. This is especially because I have said things before on twitter/fb that haven't been replied to and I automatically think 'no one cares!' when in reality it's 3 am and not everyone is reading everything you write, or has the ability to reply.

Actually another troubling aspect of facebook is different photos that go around... Pages might post a photo or a link to a newspaper article about someone who is suicidal and others might comment back saying that they feel that way and then others will post really harmful and detrimental replies (e.g. tell them that depression is ridiculous and it's all in their head). It can get very nasty. I have seen that happen a number of times and it is REALLY distressing.
Highlighted

Yes I've also come across some people concluding that it's just attention seeking, and although that annoys the heck out of me, I use it as an opportunity to talk to them more about it. Often when I ask them why they think that, there is no evidence to support their claim, which helps them realise that maybe there is something behind that fb status or tweet that they hadn't given any thought to.

Ugh, double post, sorry!

Everyone's comments so far are really enlightening - thank you!

Remember to keep yourself safe tonight - participate in this discussion only for as long as you feel comfortable. Check out mischiefmanaged's post about self-care tonight: http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/ReachOut-com-presents/Talking-about-suicide-on-social-media-have-yo...

Question TWO

Why do young people turn to social media in really difficult times?

What do we know about young people's intentions when they go online and talk about suicide - are young people using SM to express suicidal ideation asking for help?

Are young people using this space to feel supported/accepted? Are they using it as a channel to reach the audience they want to know about their feelings?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. By the way, when I say 'they' and I'm referring to young people, I mean 'we' - I'm under 25, too! 

How are young people using social media in the context of suicidal ideation or when concerned about others at risk? What are the avenues being used (Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, YouTube) and do these mediums need to be approached in different ways?

When it comes to suicidal ideation, people tend to post photos (on Tumblr or Facebook) which are usually things like drowning, running away and strangely implied body harm. Unfortunately, people repost them for the aesthetic beauty of the image, which befuddles me very much. There's also images that concern this issue, usually plagued with the tag line "Like if you care" -which usually receive thousands of "likes". It makes me wonder - the number of likes are horrendous. Why is is that people have the time to spend hours on social media to show they care but when it comes to practicality, there's not as much? It goes to show that with social media, on the topic of suicide and suicide prevention, "doing" something, showing "help and support" is seen by young people as something effortless. Which is not. It requires work but we'll get there Smiley Happy When it comes to helping others, from what I've seen and experienced, young people use private FB chat - as it's instant and quick - allowing users to help another as fast as they possibly can. This conversation could change to other types of media - mobile texts, msn, video gaming chat, Skype (chat, call, video call), phone call. To an extent, it helps but it's not the same as having someone physically there to talk to. 

Have you seen suicide and suicidal thoughts talked about on social media? Where (e.g. a facebook message? on twitter?)

Yes - usually on FB. It can be confronting at times - particularly when suicidal thoughts are purely disguised by the friendly "bleep" of the FB chat system. 

I agree with what someone said earlier about young people testing the waters when they first start to use social media for these messages. I think they're trying to reach a certain audience who they want to know about their feelings, and trying to gain support/connection. Unfortunately I think it often happens that they do not get the response they want, and that can make their needs even greater and therefore they start to feel lower and communicate more and more distress. The more they communicate, the less they get the response they need, the greater their need becomes ...... kind of thing.

Quite possibly the person doesn't really think that anyone offline in the real world is interested. It may be because they have in the past felt that when they have tried to talk to someone they haven't shown interest in their personal situation and as such feel the only place they can let off steam so to speak is on SM.

It is quite possible though they are quite possibly not actually planning on carrying out acts of self-harm, I've seen at least one situation of someone using the term to say they are not happy at the moment and just upset - these people do though need as much support though as anyone else...

There are some AMAZING thoughts coming out so far guys!! Thanks so much for your participation!!!

I just wanted to make sure that you are all doing okay. Don't forget that you are NOT obliged in ANY way to stay in this conversation if it's distressing for you. We TOTALLY understand.

I am going to post the numbers up again in case you have forgotten them (or can't find them), please make sure you use these if you need to. Smiley Happy

http://www.kidshelpline.com.au - 1800 551 800. Kids Help Line (KHL) are available 24/7 and are for anyone aged up to 25 years. They are free from most mobile phones too. They also offer online counselling at set times.

https://www.lifeline.org.au/Get-Help/Online-Services/crisis-chat - 13 11 14. Life Line (LL) avalable for any age 24/7. Also offer online counselling. They are also free from most carriers.

http://www.eheadspace.org.au - they offer online support for young people up to 25 years.

http://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/ - 1300 659 467 - Suicide Call Back Service. If you are feeling suicidal or at risk of hurting yourself PLEASE give this service a call. It is the cost of a local call, but they are available 24/7 and are available for anyone of any age.

Please also remember that if you are suicidal and especially if you have hurt yourself, please dial 000 - free from all phone carriers.

Cute picture here: http://www.imglols.com/wp-content/main/2012_09/happy-dog-is-a-peacock.jpg

MM. Smiley Happy

Woo! Yay for dougsky being under 25 too... run by yp for yp.. Smiley Very Happy

Question TWO

Why do young people turn to social media in really difficult times?

It's less confronting that speaking aloud on the phone, or face to face. We have more control over what happens, and can think more thoroughly about what we say before posting (instead of blurting out the first thing that comes to mind)
I think that sense of control, when things are most probably feeling more and more out of control, is a massive drawcard. I know it is for me!

What do we know about young people's intentions when they go online and talk about suicide - are young people using SM to express suicidal ideation asking for help?

I guess everyone's intentions are unique. As with saying that all posts about suicide or sh are 'attention seeking', I dont think anyone has the right to say that all posts are of any other nature. Everyone does it for a slightly different reason... (My thoughts only btw!)

Are young people using this space to feel supported/accepted? Are they using it as a channel to reach the audience they want to know about their feelings?
Not sure it's always about telling the right audience how they're feeling... but moreso just feeling some sense of control and relief after being able to let some of the distress out.
There are definitely times when I think social media is used to feel accepted and supported.. and it has the potential to do both, but to also, unfortunately, do the exact opposite.
I think it gets used to be able to connect to those who we might not otherwise be able to connect with... because of geographical boundaries, or other issues.