cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [INFOBUS] Relationships: the good, bad & ugly

Hi all. Just thought I'd pop in briefly. 

I agree with the general view. We have family, friend, romantic relationships because we have a deep sense of need for others. Relationships provide a space for us to support and be supported, learn to trust, be listened to, and give and take, etc. 

Where did you learn about relationships? When you were growing up what did you learn about them (and who from)?

I think I learned more through experience (vicarious and first-hand) than advice. I learned about friendship mostly from having and making friends, and also through TV shows and movies. I think I learned the most about romantic relationships from my parents, but they don't have the best relationship, and being in a relationship of my own has allowed me the space to unlearn a lot of unhealthy behaviours

Hey all! Smiley Very Happy

Where did you learn about relationships? When you were growing up what did you learn about them (and who from)?

Right when you're born, the people you're around play a massive role in teaching you about relationships, closeness and love; They could be your parents, siblings, relatives or teachers. 

Hey @Lightuptheworld soo good to have you Smiley Happy

If we're talking about like a partner/romantic relationship, I think we get a lot of messages about them from parents, school and other adults in our lives when we're little but then moreso from friends and the media as we get older.  What do you think?

ruenhonx wrote:

I guess from my parents and family aunties, uncles (I learnt that they all mostly end at some point!)... But then there is fairy tales, the media, hollywood , home & away etc.... I don't know that they taught me anything about the real world though!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

hi @Lightuptheworld ! Long time no see thanks so much for stopping by! I love that idea that relationships provide space for mutual support.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Definately a bit of a gap between the fairy tales and real life most of the time!

Well I guess I just learnt about them from seeing other people with partners, that sort of thing. I guess when I was growing up I learnt that not all relationships are good relationships. 

That's true as well safari - learning through experience is a big one...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com