cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: LIVE CHAT Wed 13th 7PM- Australia's First People

Do you feel that in your local community Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is widely celebrated? If yes what do you see? If no, what do you think is missing or you'd like to see more of?
I don't think I can fairly answer this question because I don't know very much about my local community. The closest I get to is the kids who play outside my house.

I think the other thing with school is that they teach it in primary school and I don't know about anybody else but I hardly remember primary school, at all. And I don't remember learning anything in high school, which is something that should be changed.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

@roseisnotaplant the one or two times I've gone to a community event (okay, one time) they did mention the traditional owners. Plus of course my university and high school had the flags. But I guess my not remembering those things shows that they really could do more.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hmm, maybe @j95, is that where at school assemblies and stuff whoever is speaking will say 'I would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land and their elders' or something like that?

Do you feel that in your local community Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is widely celebrated? If yes what do you see? If no, what do you think is missing or you'd like to see more of?

I definitely think my local community could do more to celebrate Aboriginal and Torres strait Islander culture. For the most part, I feel like we learn a lot about history and also do practices like acknowledgement of country which remind people of the original custodians of the land, but it seems like the community could do more to consult with Indigenous groups and elders to create events or activities celebrating Aboriginal and Torres strait Islander cultures.

I also think it would have been really good to have a more consistent approach, rather than just having one event one time, or a handful of events each year.

yeah @roseisnotaplant
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

I agree @safari93 having stuff just there rather than or on top of a special event

I agree @safari93 - it seems that engaging with Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander culture is more of an event than an ongoing thing.

I see some artwork in my community which celebrates our culture. I also don't live far from some Indigenous services so their programs and events are kind of prominent in my community but I also feel that could be because I have made them visible to myself by getting involved. But an ordinary onlooker walking down the street may think there isn't much.

2. Do you feel that in your local community Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is widely celebrated? If yes what do you see? If no, what do you think is missing or you'd like to see more of?

Like @roseisnotaplant has said, in my local community they do celebrate the Indigenous culture through Welcome to Country speeches and stuff at events, but I still feel like there should be more Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engagement at events in my community.

Next question...

Using this map what land do you stand on each day?  Is there anything you are surprised by or learnt from looking at that map?