cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: A day in my life

Wow @WheresMySquishy! I'm glad that things turned for the better. Get better soon!
Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy oh my gosh..!

I'm glad you listened to yourself and went to hospital. 1cm sounds huge..!! No wonder you were hurting so much...

I hope the procedure and your recovery go okay, and that you get some rest.

We're here if you need any support through this Heart

Highlighted

Awh @WheresMySquishy that is absolutely horrible! I’m so sorry you had to go through that.. I’m really happy that you did go to hospital as well!
I hope you recover soon and hope you’re feeling better now Heart

We’re thinking of you Heart
Highlighted

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the lovely messages Smiley Happy

I'm just trying to take it easy at home. I'm having some side effects from the antibiotics and stent but am doing well other than that. The secretary of the urologist called to ask about me and said I was very tough for putting up with the stent because most patients don't like it and it's uncomfortable. I don't think it's that bad. I would rather have it than pain from the blockage. And neither of those things are as painful as the episodes of proctalgia fugax that I sometimes get, although people say that kidney stone pain is supposed to be really severe. I would rate proctalgia fugax as consistently 8-9 out of 10, whereas the blockage ranged between 1-7 out of 10.

My parents and the GP actually didn't believe I had a kidney stone because the ones they had seen would scream in pain. There was actually another lady on the other side of the room in the emergency department who was screaming, whereas I was just sitting quietly and without any painkillers because I told them I would wait until it flared up again. When I was in emergency, the pain went down by itself to 1-4 out of 10. It was just uncomfortable and sore to lie on my back and side and it was also tender. I was questioning my decision to go, but decided to stay until after the tests came back and also because I was hoping they would give me some painkillers to take home.
I think that the reason that they kept me in overnight was because they were worried about my blood test results and the risk of sepsis, and also because I was on IV antibiotics to try to reduce the risk. I was actually surprised about how bad it was and I didn't know that you could get sepsis from kidney stones.

As usual, my grandma decided to do her attention-seeking behaviour and act like she was sick when there was nothing wrong with her. She just tends to do this when someone else is sick or in hospital. She has also never said a word to me despite being told about what happened and the seriousness of it. She also told my grandpa what happened (and completely incorrectly), when we told her not to because we didn't want to worry or upset him.
Our relationship definitely isn't reciprocal and I've done a lot more for her than she has ever done for me. This was not like a routine test or procedure, it was potentially life-threatening in my case. The doctor even said that the surgery had to be done that day and made some phone calls saying that it was an emergency so they could prepare an operating room.
We also told some other people, but they still haven't asked about me or offered any support. I always tell my family how it's frustrating when certain people don't ask about me despite knowing I am going through a hard time and they just think I'm being paranoid, but this time we know it's something on their part.

Highlighted

Hi all,

Just a little update. My surgery was scheduled for Wednesday, but just as I was about to be cannulated, the surgeon came into the anaesthetic bay and said that he didn't like something in my test results (which were received on Monday), so he decided to call off the operation. He asked to see me yesterday, and we decided we would repeat the test and if they did not show signs of infection, we would go ahead with the surgery next Wednesday instead, otherwise it would be delayed again. In the meantime, I have been put on another antibiotic which is making me feel even sicker and has been giving me more side effects than the last one.
It kind of sounds like a blunder to me. I don't think my test results were looked at until the last moment, when we should have been informed about this decision in advance. I've had both good and bad experiences with this hospital. This week, they seemed really disorganised. I had been fasting since 7:30am and was only told this closer to 5pm because they were running behind schedule.
I was really annoyed because I am having lots of side effects from the stent and antibiotics, so I'm not able to walk around much. I haven't been able to go to my volunteering since early January because of the delay in getting the diagnosis and treatment (they are understanding though). What's worse is that I have people calling me offering me positions and trying to interview me and I have had to tell them the story (I applied before I had the first surgery because the GP I went to told me I just had an infection). I don't know if I will be well enough to work in the timeframe that they want me to start. I also haven't been able to do a lot of physical stuff, which the family members I am caring for require and which my sister's hospital expects me to do. The stress of it all seems to have given my sister new symptoms and I have to also reschedule the stent removal and an appointment with my regular GP.
I think the only professionals I have been happy with are the emergency doctor, who knew what the problem was straight away and encouraged me to have a scan, and the nurses in my first admission. My dad spoke to the GP I saw (not my regular one) and he said that he should have done a CT scan and that I didn't look to be in that much pain, but my dad said he didn't blame him.