cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A nice story.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share a really nice thing that happened today.

I had to go to the doctor this morning, just to get my iron levels tested, and I was feeling really nervous because it was the doctor who was treating me while I had depression, and I hadn’t seen him for over a year, when I was not in the best state.

I went along, and it turned out to be a really positive experience that made me stop and appreciate how far I have come. My doctor went through all the blood test stuff, and then asked me how I’d been getting on. I explained that I was feeling so much better, and that only now can I really appreciate just how much I was struggling, and not okay, despite my best efforts to convince myself otherwise at the time.

We chatted for a while about what I’m up to at the moment, and the importance of reflecting on the strategies that helped turn things around. But the best thing was that he dropped his ‘doctor’ persona, and just as another human being told me really genuinely how pleased he was to see me well again. He almost seemed relieved, like he’d been holding his breath the whole time, but it was okay now. Obviously that’s no-where near true, as I’m only one of hundreds of patients, but it made me feel really proud, and so appreciative of the support I have had.

He then relayed a story of when I was three years old and he and his wife met me at the hospital on New Years Eve because I’d fallen over and split my lip. I was going to a parade and was dressed as a mouse, and he was going to a dress up party dressed as a separatist rebel. This has no relevance to the story other than conjuring quite a funny mental image Smiley Happy

Anyway, I just thought I’d share this, because often when things are a bit shit we can lose sight of the light at the end, and I wanted you to know that it will get better, and you can also feel proud right now, of all your achievements, no matter how small.

Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Re: A nice story.

thats awesome news Georgie! Smiley Happy

Hindsight can be a wonderful thing, its lovely hearing how far you have come!