cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Alcoholic Partner

Hi everyone, 

I am currently seeing a Counsellor in relation to my situation but it honestly doesn’t feel like enough. Enough support. I am a mother and even though my partner sometimes cooks dinner I still feel alone and single, like I’m doing everything. He is drinking excessively and lost his job. When he is intoxicated is says hurtful things. It’s got to the point I’m done talking about it, asking him to seek help, expressing my concerns and my feelings. I feel worn out to now just want to go to bed early or sleep in or even have 3 showers a day so I don’t have to deal with it. I do t know what else to do and I feel leaving the relationship would be very last resort. I cannot afford rent on my own and not looking for a job currently as one of the children is a newborn. Please help. I’m open to suggestions or just anything to make me feel like things are going to be okay. 

Highlighted

Re: Alcoholic Partner

Hello @FoxxJj, thanks for sharing your story with us. I am sorry to hear that you and your family have been going through a lot lately. I can't imagine how diffcult things must be for you right now. I just wanted to give you a heads up that I have sent you an email to check in with you and provide you with some information Heart

Highlighted

Thank you. We are safe. Just says to leave if I don’t like it. If only it was that easy 

Highlighted

Hi @FoxxJj, thank you for replying and glad to hear that you are safe. Your situation with your husband sounds incredibly tough to deal with, especially as a mother. Just so you now, I have now responded to your email Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Hi @FoxxJj im so sorry for what youre going through right now. I know Taylor-RO has gotten in contact with you but I just wanted to reach out and offer some support. I cant begin to imagine the back and forth of what must go through your mind daily and the possible frustration when people tell you to just leave. I think you're so strong mentally and physically for raising a family and dealing with this. Im glad to hear you're talking to a counsellor, are there hotlines you could contact who could guide you on how to approach and guide you through this time?
Highlighted

Hi @FoxxJj! Welcome to the forums!
I'm so sorry that you're feeling so alone and isolated right now. Smiley Sad When people close to us aren't supportive of us, we can feel like we're on our own and that's so tough. It can also make you feel helpless when someone close to you has an addiction or mental health issue and is unwilling to do anything to help themselves. On top of caring for your children, you may feel as though you have to look after your partner too.
I'm not sure if you've seen them already, but here are some supports for families with members who have alcohol issues.

Highlighted

Hey @FoxxJj,

Do your close friends or extended family (mum, sibling, cousins etc) know about your situation? Could you ask to stay with them for a bit until you are able to figure out what step you want to take next? This might help provide you with some additional support when it comes to looking after your newborn bub and even things like cooking and cleaning.