cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

An event from my past, irrational worries

Hi,
I'm a volunteer at an animal shelter and a big animal lover. About a month ago, a staff member at the shelter found a frog in there, and she invited me to come with her as she went outside to release the frog. She put the frog near a puddle and went back inside the shelter, but since I have OCD, I felt like I had to stay there a few more moments to make sure the frog was okay. After staring at the frog for a few moments, I started walking back to the shelter, but I kept looking back at the puddle, just to be absolutely sure.

At some point when I looked back the frog wasn't there anymore. I went back to puddle to take a closer look, but the frog was nowhere to be seen, so I just went back to the shelter.

Even though I can tell with almost 100% certainty that the frog simply jumped into the puddle when I didn't look, I still can't get over the idea that I accidentally stepped on the frog when I went back to puddle to take a closer look. This idea makes no sense because the closest I got to where we put the frog was a few meters away from that spot, and also, if a frog had been crashed under my foot, I would have surely noticed.

Unfortunately, I cannot reason with my OCD, and even though I keep telling myself how irrational my worries are, they just don't go away.

Any advice on how to deal with this trouble?

Re: An event from my past, irrational worries

Hi @Obse, that sounds like a really horrible situation to be in. I don't have OCD personally but I can imagine that the internal battle with your head must get really tiring to deal with.

Is there anyone in your personal life that may know a bit more about your OCD that you could talk to? Such as mental health professionals, parents, etc.? Or do you know anybody else with OCD that could provide some hints and tips about dealing with it?

I discussed this issue with my parents and with my psychologist, but unfortunately, it didn't change much. ):

Hello @Obse

I have OCD too and I get how tough it can be.... I tend to go to the worst case scenarios and it feels like a never ending battle in my head at times. I don't know much about how to cope with OCD as I am still on that journey myself. But I am working on changing my thought process. To break things down in my head instead of reacting to the situation at full speed. 

I know its not the most helpful advice, but if you ever need to have a chat. we are always here Smiley Happy

@Karinaskii Thank you! 🙂

hi @Obse it sounds like you're in a tough situation. I tend to be OCD about some things so I can sympathise with you! Worries are going to be worries, no matter how small or big they are. They tend to be the source of our stress and discomfort because there's a nagging voice at the back of your head that's constantly reminding you. Just take deep breathes and try to clear your mind, talking to others about it tends to help in some way. In some cases I'd rather check it myself and make sure whatever is worrying me isn't going to be a big issue, just to get a peace of mind.

hoping for all the best!

@SkyIsTheLimit Thank you! 🙂

Hey @Obse! Have you found any of strategies helpful?

Good on you for reaching out for help Smiley Happy

@FootyFan26 I just keep reminding myself that my worries make no sense, but unfortunately, the worst case scenario is burned into my mind and I don't know how to get rid of it. 😔

Worries may not make sense but ti doesn't make them feel any less real. Has anything been helpful in regards of distracting you from those thought while walking past that spot?

I personally like @SkyIsTheLimit's idea of checking in with yourself and doing a bit of grounding.