cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Animal abuse and injury

Personally, I have 3 dogs, so the videos on 9raw about cops shooting dogs that are defending owners, or articles in four corners about animal abuse bring a tear to my eye. What about you?

Re: Animal abuse and injury

hey there A-41, yea it is pretty horrific to find out about animal abuse.

Many of us get so much out of the loving relationship we have with our pets!! They can play such an important role in improving our emotional well being: isn't it amazing how dogs do not judge us!? So when we hear of pets being hurt it is understandable that it's upsetting.

Here are some reasons why pets are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
- can help with loneliness or isolation! They accept us for who we are and provide companionship
- physical contact is important to our mental health: cuddling/patting a pet is therapeutic!!!
- They make us laugh
- We can take them for walks and to the park which is good for body movement which keeps our mind healthy.
- Routine is good for reinforcing emotional stability, and you have to be predictable with feeding, grooming, walking yr pet

I know there are lots of dog lovers on this forum - anyone want to tell us about how amazing their pet/s are? How do they help you?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

One of my earliest memories is of my parents taking my sister & I to the pound to find a little puppy to join our family.

She's getting old now - nearly 12 years old so she isn't as active as she once was (she's part greyhound so we always had/have to make sure she gets heaps of exercise) but I can honestly say she's one of the best friends I've ever had. Dogs are seriously awesome companions and are so loyal, and yes, I cannot even begin to imagine why a person would even consider hurting an animal. What do they ever do to us that's so horrible?

Forever a dog & animal lover Smiley Happy

Yep, the thought of anything happening to my dog is awful, I love my dog.

I personally don't own any pets so I'm not exactly sure how I'd react.

Having said that, I'm human so seeing living things in pain makes me a bit emotional and sad. 

I'm not the biggest fan of dogs or anything but some of them can be pretty cool.   

I have 3 cats and I utterly adore them.

Even before I got them, I've always been an animal lover.

It really upsets me to hear of or see any animal being mistreated. I've called the police when I've heard dogs in neighbours yards being abused or seen them locked in cars - I've no idea how some people can treat another living creature so badly Smiley Sad it really makes me want to cry and makes me feel sick to my stomach.

I think laws around this are changing and it is being treated more seriously. And we also have some great organisations like RSPCA who work to help our furry, scaly, feathered etc. friends Smiley Happy

It makes me cringe and I feel absolutely helpless when I see innocent animals mistreated.

I have a pet lizard at the moment...but I want a cat soooo badly. It's hard when you're in a rental. hehe...

For as long as I remember I've had at least one dog, usually more, my life has been immensely enriched by each of them in so many ways.
I always felt a little sorry for the people I knew who never had that sort of animal experience/connection.

And I'm a (mostly vegan) vegetarian for predominately animal cruelty reasons.

i was lucky to have a good landlord who let me have cats Smiley Happy one of the advantages of living in an older place.