cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Anxiety & feeling guilty about taking medication

Best of luck with year 12 exams @Alec29!

How has the weekend been treating you?

Hope you've been able to study and manage those worries around self-esteem/your weight. That's one of the more annoying side effects of medication.

In regards to self-esteem, are there strategies you could use or things you usually do to help with that?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

hey @Alec29, I think you're definitely making the right choice with taking medication and in general doing a great job at making decisions that are best for you. I really commend you on that; anxiety can be really intense and hard to control so in situations like those, it might be helpful to notice when you are placing judgment on yourself. E.g. not thinking you're anxious enough to be on medication. You don't have to do anything when you notice, but sometimes just being aware you're placing a judgment that may or may not be fair or true can really help with decision making.

Hi @letitgo

The weekend has been ok I have just been studying, I don't really manage my self esteem I'v always had low self esteem and issues with my weight, I just try and keep busy and usually only do things I'm good at, luckily for me I do quite well in terms of grades (though im never 100% happy with them) so that helps my self esteem. I was anxious last night I was just reading a book and all of a sudden I had a tingling, buzzing heat like sensation go up my body and then my heart felt weird it kind of jumped it felt irregular so then I freaked out about that all night and today im still worried about it just not as much.

Hey @Alec29, that sounds like a really frightening experience! How have you been coping since then?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Hi @Alec29

I have some first hand experience with meds and anxiety as its been 11 years since getting diagnosed with anxiety and 10 years on medication (I am in my early 20's). Don't feel guilty about taking medication, see it like being a diabetic who needs insulin. You have a chemical imbalance and need an artificial source of the chemical to help keep balanced. 

It will take a while for medication levels to even out and reach their peak, so give it a few weeks and don't be too hard on yourself.

In terms of your exams have you spoken to the school about your worries and how you have recently been diagnosed with a mental illness and put on medication? You should be able to get some extra help, whether that be extra time or something else that may be of benefit for you. You will most likely need a doctors note, but the school wants to help you succeed and given your history there should be no problem.

I will say that seeing a psych along with taking my medication (at a regular time) really helps lessen my anxiety, but I still have bad days and I give myself passes on those days. Also keep trying until you find a psych you connect with, you won't be doing yourself any favours is you see a psych you don't feel comfortable with.

Hang in there, things will get better (I promise!).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!