cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Anxiety attacks

@gmusicj  I'm so sorry that this is frustrating and distressing you so much! Can I ask, how do the 2 people who know about your attacks help you deal with them?

If you like, we could brainstorm some ways that you could let them know how to help them help you even better if they are all the support network you have right now?

Highlighted

I’m talked to through it when I’m having an anxiety attack it’s scary and I forget to do my grounding strategy I have to put my hand on a window and focus my mind on what the glass feels like and breath in through my nose and out through my mouth and then look around the room what can I see but my support worker and my psychologist know how to talk me out of an attack the last time I had one I was already crying and my psychologist was working on me in that waiting room and got me to calm down to a point where she then knew it was safe to take me into a private room and get to the bottom of what caused the anxiety attack 

Highlighted

@gmusicj those attacks sound really tough, it can be so scary when it comes on and you feel out of control. I am super impressed by the strategies that you use, it can be hard to put them in place when things are so overwhelming but you sound like you keep pushing through which takes a lot. Lots of people have provided some great suggestions and it sounds like you already have some in place. I am really sorry to hear how hard things have been for you, but we are here to listen and by speaking about this you are really helping others not feel alone Heart

Highlighted

@gmusicj  Wow, I hear you, it sounds like the grounding technique works for you, even though it can be a bit tricky for you to get through! My grounding strategy is to look up public transport routes and like bus/train timetables. I have no idea why it works. I guess the information is all perfectly ordered and laid out nicely, and I can concentrate on it? Huhh.
It's great that you also have a backup plan to help you focus if you do forget your grounding strategy though. 
It's also really good that you have got professional help too. And like @Claire-RO  mentioned, you've made me feel less alone about times when I felt crazy anxious too! Do your friends remind you of or help you complete your strategies when you're hanging out and you feel you need to do it? 

Highlighted

I'm so glad to hear you're seeking professional help @gmusicj because it really can make a world of difference. I know it doesn't always work for everyone, and for people like me it can take FOREVER to make any sort of progress but as people on here have kindly reminded me, any sort of progress whether big or small is still progress. And I really do think you should view that attack that you managed to kick in the butt as progress!! And try not to focus on what happened in the office with your psych. I know it's harder to focus on the wins when it feels like there are so many losses but I really do hope you try because my psych keeps telling me that it will help shift my outlook on anxiety attacks.. idk. Like I said, sooo much easier said than done - I TOTALLY get it!! I'm assuming your psych has probably brought this up but do you practice your grounding strategies everyday? Like even when you are calm? My psych keeps telling me that I need to make it a daily thing and put the time into practicing them so that when an attack does come on they just become second nature. Because like you, I forget to use them and then get so worked up that my brain just becomes mush and there's no stopping the attack. 

Also.. do you just have the one grounding strategy you use? Or do you have a list to try out? Cause I'm still yet to find the best ones to suit me but have found that having a list to practice and choose from is helping me a bit because they definately don't all work for me!! 

Highlighted

Hey @gmusicj , thank you for the update Heart 

I am so SO happy that you are reaching out for professional help. I know that it is difficult and nerve-racking for many people to open up to someone who I guess is basically a stranger. But someone who also is there to help you, guide you and make you feel a lot better.Smiley Very Happy

I'm glad you use the grounding strategy and you know that you can go to that if need be when in more public spaces alone. I was just brainstorming up some other ways you might be able to calm yourself down a little more and thought about perhaps using apps? For example, I like to use this one called Smiling Mind. If you're by yourself but you feel like you need someone counting your breathing with you, guiding you and telling you what to do when you feel panicked, the app can be absolutely amazing! There are lots of guided meditations of all sorts, some concentrating on breathing, some on the sounds around you, smells around you and other things. If you're on a bus, you could plug in some earphones and start a short meditation Smiley Happy Maybe you could have a go with this! And if you do, please let me know if it helped at all! Heart 

Highlighted

What a great idea @ayrc_1904 ! 

I've never heard of the app but am totally going to try it cause it sounds like something that may help me too, so thanks for sharing 😊

Highlighted

Hey @MB95

Yay!! Haha I'm so glad you think it would be of help to you too Smiley Very Happy 

Let me know if it works for you! I personally find it very useful because it helps to hear another person's voice guiding you and calming you down. Heart

I need to hear a voice I know my psychologist talked me through it and she said ur ok your safe deep breaths slow ur breathing i was very embarrassed and felt ashamed and felt I was gonna be judged again today my anxiety was very high I had no clue what to do but call for crisis help but my boyfriend was able to calm with distraction and a kiss I use to take risks but my psychologist showed me what safety is and after a recent trauma I stopped talking that sort of risk 

Highlighted

Hi @gmusicj,

Good on you for recognising that you need extra support and reaching out for help yesterday! That is a huge step and we are so proud of you for doing what you needed to to get through the toughest parts of the day.

You mentioned that you were thinking of contacting crisis support, but were able to work through the moment with your boyfriend and some grounding distraction. He sounds like such a great support for you! 

When do you see your psychologist next?

Check out our community activities calendar here