cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anxiety

Why do I always get anxious about new weeks coming up. I don’t know, for example someone just messaged me and said we’ll meet next Friday and in my head I’m just thinking oh no I have to get through all this week, it’s not even excitement, I think about what I have on leading up to it and stress about having to go through that BEFORE I can do the fun thing. Maybe because I’m usually excited for the thing I just want to happen. I’m not sure, it’s just really stupid and annoying. I think about the things that could go wrong between now and the thing I’m excited for, like maybe it will be a shit week and it will be really hard. I wish I could explain this better. 

Re: Anxiety

Hey @Saltwaterdreamtime thanks for posting about this. I experience anxiety myself, and I know a lot of other users do too. It's an important conversation.

Everyone's anxiety is experienced differently, which can make it really hard to explain. I think you've done a good job explaining in your post, though. 

What are some things that make you feel better when you're feeling anxious? e.g. is there someone in your life to whom you could talk about how you're feeling?

Look forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

@Saltwaterdreamtime I relate with this feeling too!! but as @letitgo mentioned speaking with someone you know could be helpful in such situations. I personally have my sister who I share my feelings or emotions with, and it works for me pretty well Smiley Happy Also, I believe it is normal to be anxious about certain situations and everyone goes through it. Sometimes I also do some self-talk telling myself that it will be fine and that I should just stop overthinking and leave it to the breeze.

Remember that somedays are going be just as good as you expected, some could be contrary to your expectations and some could exceed your expectations. You just have to take it day by day Smiley Very Happy

Hopefully this helps you Smiley Happy

I don’t know it’s usually pretty brief/minor but still pisses me off that it happens

Great to hear from you @Saltwaterdreamtime and you're right - anxiety can definitely be really frustrating!

What are your thoughts on chatting to someone - either a mental health professional or someone you know - about it? Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

It’s stupid though

It’s a common thought that I have too @Saltwaterdreamtime, “it’s stupid”. I have only recently opened up to a counsellor at my school about my constant anxious thoughts. I feel that you would benefit from looking at your thoughts from a different perspective. Instead of accepting that everything your anxious brain is telling you is absolute truth, challenge it.

For example, you mentioned that you have a stressful week. Is the week stressful becuase your have something on every day which you find stressful, or is it one thing on a Friday that you’ll be thinking about all week? If you identify what is specifically making you feel anxious, what can you do to lessen the anxiety around the event? Are there worse-case scenarios that you’re envisioning? What is the logical probability that your thoughts will materialise into reality? Generally, people with who suffer with anxiety tend to work up the worst case scenario of any situation where anxiety is associated, I personally do this, but am learning to stop my overthinking before it reaches that point.

And if you THINK it will be a hard week, why so? Going out on Friday won’t change anything but the fact that you’ll be out whenever you are on Friday. What if you weren’t going out on Friday? Would you still feel this way?

Not sure if this will help, and no pressure to answer these questions, just something to think about Smiley Happy