cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anxious, stressed... Help me..

Hey everyone,
I've always been a stressed person, but last week all of a sudden it was like an emotional train of worry and sadness hit me. Since then I've been anxious, sad and feeling distant from everyone. I feel really fragile too, like anything can set me off (the wrong music, the wrong game, deciding whether or not to wear something, silly things like that).
I have a very loving boyfriend that I live with who is very supportive, but I don't want him to worry about me too much, as he has a long list of his own medical problems that stress him out.

The anxious feelings are also giving me a number of physical issues as well, such as bowel problems and acne. I'm also having trouble finding the motivation to do regular activities such as study (exams are next week!!), assignments, playing games, eating.. Pretty much anything...

I just want to go back to what I felt like last week.
Any advice or just kind words would be welcome..

Re: Anxious, stressed... Help me..

Hi,

I've suffered with the same thing, during HSC times, I was always very stressed, anxious, if I had to confront some one about something, even something like calling Centrelink, I would feel sick and start  freaking out. I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) which made things worse cause I would feel very self conscious going out or eating out with friends cause I would have to go to the bathroom often. 

Eventually I became anxious about the anxiety LOL  about almost 2 years ago now I took up karate, and things have been sooo much better now! I have no bowel problems, I'm happy. I've met new friends and training every week is my new way to vent. I don't sweat about the small stuff, and I've come to realize... Everything is small stuff! Smiley Tongue 

I think finding things you enjoy to occupy yourself with, and doing these things with other people really help. Honestly just venting helps too, I would sometimes just have a nice big whinge, a massive vent, then go to karate, tire myself out, have a chat with friends and I would feel fine afterwards. And over time the problem has become non existent.

This probably wasn't very helpful, but just know you're not alone. Venting always helps! Smiley Happy

Also, I find that when I have no motivation to do anything, sometimes I just need to force myself to get up and do it. Once I start I feel fine, I just needed that initial push to get me going.

Hey Rhelna

It's great that you have the courage to ask for help, I know how hard that can feel sometimes, and with feeling anxious only makes it feel harder.

Can you think of anything in specific during the last week which could have triggered these feelings? If there is a trigger, or plausible reasons that may help you find the right way to deal with it sooner Smiley Happy

I can understand not wanting to lay on your boyfriend because of his medical issues, and that's totally your call, you would know better than us whether he can cope with that.

My initial thought would be to go and talk to your doctor, they can help sort out the bowel problems and point you in the right direction.

I completely agree with the second post that Ninja_mouse made. I myself have found when lacking in motivation, sometimes I just need to push myself to go and do something.- anything. Which can help kick start some motivation to run through me Smiley Happy If that is really not helping and you find even trying to do something, even a short walk around the block or your own house, it might be worth looking further into. RO has some awesome factsheets on motivation, which can be found here.

Right now I have just come out my HSC exams and as I type this I am in a sense of complete tranquility. I'm just so calm and happy with myself, at peace. It could be due to the fact that I am currently sitting outside in my own backyard under the trees and the wind is blowing.... I thought I'd mention that because you said you're feeling stressed, and well maybe what you need is a bit of change of scenery. Maybe take a walk around the nearest park, or even sit outside like I am now. Kind of just be in the present moment and try to rid your mind of the everyday things that are stressing you and making you feel uncomfortable Smiley Happy

I hope this helps you Smiley Happy
Bee

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Bee  - Thanks for the advice Smiley Happy It's actually my uni exams, so maybe not as much stress as HSC, but sitting outside in the wind like you said might help. Things like that have helped me in the past.
Honestly, I have no idea what triggered it, it was just like all of a sudden I felt incredibly anxious about anything and everything, and couldn't think straight or reason with myself, and I still feel like this a week down the track.

If this keeps up past my exams I will definitely go and see a doctor.
Thanks for the link too.

I appreciate your help! 

@Ninja_mouse - Usually I play soccer on the weekends, and that was always a good stress relief for me. It's off season now, but maybe it'd be worth getting in contact with my team and asking if they wanted to have a kick or something. 
If things keep up like this I think going to the doctor would be a good move, as I want to overcome this as soon as possible. I get what you mean about being anxious about the anxiety too. Sometimes it's set off just by me realising that I'm having fun or not panicking, then hoping I don't start panicking,  to actually panicking about panicking.
I like how you've worked out the best way to deal with your worries.
I think I just need to find a good system to calm me down.

You've been a big help! Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it! 

No problem Rhelna,
Yeah I thought it might have been because in the GR session you said something about doing your HSC a while back Smiley Happy But they're still exams right Smiley Happy
Hmm not sure then, I hope you figure it out Smiley Happy
And no problems about the link.
Good luck with your exams Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hey @Rhelna 

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Bee and Ninja_Mouse have offered some awesome ways of coping here and I hope you know you are not alone. I just wanted to come on here and let you know that we are here to support you and if you need some time to destress, this is the place and we have some amazing people like @Bee and @Ninja_mouse to support and motivate. 

Self-care is super important, just remember to take care of yourself and a healthy and happy you is the only way to succeed Smiley Happy 

Take care 

Thanks Ruenhonx,
I really appreciate the support!

I've been having a lot of anxiety issues about my exams these past couple of weeks, so much so that I had to take yesterday and the day before off sick. So reading this has helped me too Smiley Happy I've found that distraction seems to help, especially if it's doing something I enjoy. Self-care is suuuuper important.

I haven't actually studied at all since the stress became worse (I literally haven't been able to) but I've been focusing on my self-care instead and getting through one day at a time. I was pretty good with my study earlier in the semester so the content's there in my mind somewhere Smiley Tongue

There's one thing I think most people forget around this time of year, as things start to get more hectic:

Life. Goes. On.