cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being mistreated

I don't know what to do. My friends want me to speak up, but I'm too scared...

So, there's this guy at my placement - his not my supervisor or anything, just a worker. His constantly rolling his eyes at me, and making these rude noises which makes me feel super uncomfortable. He speaks to me in a very condescending tone, and makes me do everything while he just lazes around. He left me to look after everyone, when I saw him sitting on his phone around the corner. I'm only a student, and not qualified to watch everyone myself - I'm only allowed to observe what the staff do. That's one example, of many that his done. I don't look forward going into placement because of him. 

One day, I overheard him saying that he dislikes his job, and he feels embarrassed going out.

I don't want to speak up because I'm afraid of confrontation. I'm afraid of him treating me worse when he finds out I've dobbed on him. 

Smiley Sad

Thanks for reading!Smiley Happy

Re: Being mistreated

Hey @honky,

Thanks for reaching out! Smiley Happy I think it's great that you've managed to bring this up with your friends as well Smiley Happy

Is there anyone else that you know of who experiences these same things this worker has done to you?

@honky I can totally understand being afraid of confrontation Smiley Sad if you're uncomfortable chatting to the supervisor at placement, could you chat to a staff member at uni? Being made to do things which are outside your scope of practice is a huge no-no. It sounds like your friends are being really supportive - maybe you could approach someone together? Strength in numbers and whatnot

thanks so much for responding @lokifish & @Esperanza67Smiley Happy

@Esperanza67 not really, most of my friends stand up to confrontation. Whereas I'm the type of person to keep it to myself. However, I've noticed that most people at my placement don't seem to like each other. Everything is about 'I' rather than 'we'. 

@lokifish I'm afraid of speaking up because I graduate in 3 weeks. And so, I'm afraid that if I speak up, it'll ruin everything. 

Hey @honky, sucks to hear about the lack of team cooperation in your placement Smiley Sad 

Since you've mentioned previously that your friends are comfortable with speaking up, what do you think of one of them speaking to your supervisor about this issue? They could say something like, "Hey , I have this friend who is having a hard time at placement because of so and so. However, my friend doesn't want to speak up due to fears of confrontation. I'm really concerned about this, what could you do to resolve this issue?". Do you think that might help?

By the way, congrats on graduating in three weeks time! 

@honky that sounds like a really tricky and unfortunate situation! Does the workplace you are currently on placement at have an HR officer? Or some sort of anonymous system of delivering feedback? If anything do you think there might be an opportunity at the end of your placement to pass on some feedback about your experience? I'm sure your placement coordinator would want to know. And a huge congratulations on graduating soon - that's a big deal!! Smiley Very Happy 

Hey @honky,
I'm sorry that you've had to put up with this kind of behaviour. I've had a somewhat similar experience not too long ago and I just want to quickly say that it's not too late to say or do something. If he treats you worse if he finds out you've reported him, he can get into even more trouble. I hope something works out for you.

Thanks @Esperanza67 & @rose13 I might give it a try when I get back to uni next weekSmiley Happy

Thank you @LadyMacbeth00, I hope so too.

Highlighted

Let us know how you go @honky, and good luck Smiley Happy 

Good luck @honky, and I'm sorry to hear that this person is making placement so unpleasant for you!

// Spiral outward, keep going. //