cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike

Hello, so a few years ago I was riding my bicycle in the park, and I crashed into a car, luckily the car was parked and I didn’t have any major injuries but I haven’t been able to use a bicycle ever since. I am blind in one eye so it’s really difficult for me to balance, and there isn’t really any greenery where I am where I can practice using the bike on grass. I was wondering how do you guys get your confidence back after an accident like that? 

I’m also wanting to learn to use a bicycle again because I’ll be travelling to Europe real soon and I’d like to bike everywhere. I get that you can catch the bus/tram and stuff but I’d still like to get that confidence back. ☺️

Re: Bike

hey @keezeik

hmm i guess one thing to do is to start by getting back on one and getting comfortable. something people do when learning to ride a bike might be helpful for you...
what they do is take the pedals off the bike and have the seat so your feet can comfortably tough the ground, that way you can sit, steer and learn to balance again but in baby steps, then once your comfortable and more confident with that stage then put on the pedals again..
would that help?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hey @keezeik it's super understandable to have these feelings after what happened, thank you for opening up to us about this we definitely are here to listen and provide peer support. There are many strategies to get you back comfortable with the bike - from breathing exercises, to sitting on the bike seat on the concrete without riding, to talking it out with a counsellor to see if you can unpack the fear itself.

KHL are a really good service you could talk to about this free and confidentially on 1800 55 1800.

We're all here to listen too. Will tag some community members.

@Bee @ErinsAntics @DruidChild @lokifish @N1ghtW1ng

super good advice @scared01 Smiley Very Happy 

Highlighted

Hi @keezeik

Well you know what they say you never forget how to ride a bike (though my mum claims she has forgotten!) and if at first you don't succeed try again (or removed all evidence that you ever tried! Whatever one you feel applies to you more haha).

It's great that you want to get back on the bike and you are motivated to ride again, it's a great step in the right direction Smiley Happy

I would start small, find a familiar place with lots of open space (like an empty carpark or basketball court) and no parked cars and just start riding, don't put any pressure on yourself and just see how you go. The worst case scenario is you crash and your pride is a bit hurt but if the place is empty then that shouldn't be a problem, but just get back on and start riding. Of course make sure you are wearing a helmet and maybe long sleaves to help with the impact if you do crash, better safe than sorry!  I actually finding riding on grass really hard, but some basketball courts have softer surfaces than the road if you can find a newish court to practice on (maybe a primary school?). You could also go to a gym and use their exercise bikes for a while before you get on a real bike just to get used to the motions again.

Take it slow and remind yourself why you want to do it, Europe would be so beautiful to see on bike plus think of how convenient it would be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

@scared01 @Bree-RO @ErinsAntics Thank you for all your advice, I feel like I will try and find a place that has lots of open space and try and ride there, I read this quote 'When it feels scary to jump, that is exactly when you jump. Otherwise, you end up staying in the same place your whole life.' So baby steps but also go for it!

But it's better being said then done so hopefully once I am finished with exams I will try and commit one day where I practice bicycling and increase from there

Hi @keezeik

The old sayings goes, 'Get back on the horse'. We can't get at something if we don't practice at it, it is what it is. I'm sorry about your accident, thankfully you are okay! Confidence comes from being comfortable about doing something. You don't wont confidence until you have rod your bike a few times. What I suggest is that first you mentally visualise yourself riding the bike. And sometimes we just have to do it you know? Especially when you sort of have a deadline on when you have to learn how to ride by. But yeah, the safest option like you said is to ride in a park somewhere so you won't hurt yourself if you fall down and where there isn't a lot of things you can crash into.

Hey @keezeik everyone's given some awesome advice Smiley Happy I would also encourage you to think about all the things that are good and fun about bike riding! Like looking forward to biking through Europe (awesome plan btw Smiley Happy ). And perhaps you could ask a friend to go riding with you for some added security? 

that sounds like a really good idea - I shall try and remember that too Smiley Happy

Hey @keezeik Smiley Happy It's really awesome that you want to start riding again even though it is difficult for you. I think riding when travelling is the best way to explore!

Riding with a confident friend is how I built up confidence to ride my bike around the city. Is there anyone who could go with you?