cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulimia

"Bulimia, an emotional disorder in which bouts of extreme overeating are followed by depression and self-induced vomiting, purging, or fasting"

I remember the first time I did it. I had been snacking on unhealthy stuff all day, constantly. For months I had been getting increasingly self-concious, anxious even, over my weight. When I thought about how being overweight/obese pretty much runs in my family, I panicked. I was home alone, and it was the perfect oppurtunity to just get rid of it all. [edited]

It was scary, but I felt better. If I could do it once and be alright, why not make a habit of it?

Feeling cautious of the whole thing, I consulted google. Reading about all of the side effects scared the crap out of me. I haven't done it since, but, trust me, I want to.

I know that I fit the physical characteristics of the disorder (like the eating, then the vomiting), but I don't believe I have an emotional disorder... Sure, I've had troubles with anxiety and self-harm, but i don't look in the mirror and see some fat, horrible beast. [edited] I can admit that, at least.

So, what are your thoughts? Does that one time make me bulimic? Is it honestly really that bad if I continue to do it, as long as I keep on being sane and relatively normal (and that's a miracle in itself) ? What do you think about BULIMIA?

Re: Bulimia

Hi midnightsun,

Thanks for sharing this, it's a big first step in the right direction. It's hard to evaluate yourself objectively so I'd definitely suggest you talk to your doctor or even give Kids Helpline a call on 1800 55 1800.

Just because you've only purged once, don't think that doesn't make you sick enough to deserve some help.

There's some info here about eating disorders: http://au.reachout.com/What-is-binge-eating-disorder

You might also try having a look at this website:
http://www.thebutterflyfoundation.org.au/

Take care,
JDx

Hi midnight sun,

Though even purging once isn't good, I'm glad to hear you haven't done it again. As you've said, there are a lot of risks and health problems that can be associated with bulimia and other eating disorders.

It's best to get help before it turns into a serious eating disorder where it gets out of control. You mentioned you have had issues with anxiety and self harm, and I think that warrants help too. There are a range of options for seeking help, for example a GP or a school counsellor/uni psychologist.

Take care.

Hi midnightsun, I hope you've had a chance to read some posts here, and hopefully take some action to get help? 

I had to edit your post just to make sure it's in keeping with our guidelines. We can't have graphic detail about eating disorders as they may be harmful or triggering to others. The full guidelines are here: http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Forum-amp-Commenting-Guidelines/m-p/16/me...

Come back and let us know how you are doing Smiley Very Happy