cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Bushfires: How to cope

@Jess1-RO not really, I had a bit of a chat to a friend when we caught up for a donut date, but it was more acknowledging the horror of it all, not really explaining how hard it's hitting me.
I have been avoiding the news pages right now, so I've missed the positive shit, but I'm keen to see what people have found Smiley Happy

@Tay100 thank you Heart I've been focusing a lot of self-care and I've been avoiding news about the fires and related material.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

Hi @Bee,

Leaning on friends to talk about the bushfires and encourage communication/connection is going to be such an important way forward for so many people Heart

You mentioned that you spoke generally about the horror of the bushfires, but not necessarily how heavily it has impacted you. I'd be interested to hear what that was like for you. Were there any barriers to being able to talk openly with your friend about the impact the bushfires have had on you?

Avoiding the news at the moment can be a really important self care strategy Heart We will keep adding good news stories here if you want to see some good news without having to log back into social media or news channels 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Good to hear Bee, keep us posted on that self-care regime!
Highlighted

@Jess1-RO it was difficult to not really talk about how I was feeling about it all. It was a brief discussion about the fires. The main barrier was that the catch up was so she could talk about things in her life which were really impacting her. So I kind of needed to be the support person. And I'm still wary of trusting her after we had a falling out several years ago, but I consider a friend (shrug). I've noticed that I don't tend to talk about the deeper things which impact myself or everyday life for me, with her. But that's not really appropriate for this thread.

I'll have a look at the good news stories thread at some point Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

Hey there community!

There have been a few requests on this thread for things each person can do to help support others during times of need that don’t cost money. I love how big the hearts of our community members are!

Alice Socal GIF

I’ve done some research and pulled together this big list of things you can do beyond donating money! It is a long list  to give you a ton of options (prepare for one of my longest posts ever) Smiley Happy

Connecting with our networks and communities:

• Check in with friends of a regular basis to see how they are coping: Every person in Australia is feeling the impact of bushfires. Whether it’s being directly impacted or seeing the news, we are all feeling it. Let’s check in with those around us! Want some tips for checking in with friends, ReachOut has an infographic here for checking in with friends
  • Role model that it is okay to talk: People around you may not be ready to talk, but by opening up to your friends and family, and talking about how you are feeling, you can demonstrate to others that it is okay to talk. You can be a safe person for someone to turn to! 

• Share help seeking and emotional support resources with your networks so your friends and family know where they can get some help/support: There are so many resources and services out there ready to help! Life in mind has a list of resources that can offer support to bushfire affected communities- this will continue to be updated in the coming months! There are also a ton of resources linked throughout this thread including ReachOut’s articles, Beyondblue, Headspace, Kids Helpline, Lifeline and so many more!

Social Media:

• Make sure to add a trigger warning before posting any photos of the bushfires: We want to give people an informed choice to view images when we are sharing

• Share good news stories of the community heroes helping those in need! There are so many good news stories circulating at the moment, let’s help to spread hope and promote community support by sharing these stories. You can share good news stories on the forums here

• Take a break from social media, and encourage those around you to take breaks, if bushfire news is too much

Donations of goods, not money:

• Some organisations are calling for donations of food, supplies, clothes and essential items. You can find out what organisations need here (Givit), here (Vinnies), here (Gippsland Farmer Relief), or google your community non-for-profits.

Helping our wildlife and environment: 

• Join a craft or knitting group helping to make wraps, nests and pouches for animals in need: Here is a example video on making pouches for joeys and possums. There are a few craft groups who have pitched in to help eg: Crafting for critters and Animal Rescue Craft Guild

• Make sure to get accurate information about helping animals that you may come across who are displaced by fires. WIRES have great information here or you can call their helpline for more information. 

• Help save water by learning more about water restrictions (Sydney information is here) or reducing your water use

• Donate supplies for animals: The Rescue Collective have drop off locations for items they need to support Australian Wildlife here

Volunteering:

There are so many volunteering opportunities out there! Here's a handful:

Advocacy:

• Write a letter to your local MP 

• See what Climate Change rallies or community meetings are in your local area

• Hear from other young people

We hope this helps to give you some options to contribute to supporting our communities to heal and recover- we will get through this together Heart Have you seen any other ways we can help those around us impacted by bushfire? Share your ideas and actions here!

Love You Hearts GIF by Caro Martini

Highlighted

Thank you for this post @Jess1-RO Heart I’m sure many of us here will find this helpful!

Also I just saw that 3 people have been killed due to a firefighting plane crashed.. that was pretty distressing
I think I’m going to take a break from social media while the fires are going on. It’s become a really unhealthy place to me to be, seeing all the poor animals and this horrible news Smiley Sad

Highlighted

Hi @Bananatime04,

Very heartbreaking news Smiley Sad Hearing this sort of news stories can be really upsetting. Were you able to speak to anyone around you about the news? Or use some self care strategies to cope with the distress?

Taking a break from social media sounds like a really good plan at the moment Heart 

Related image

Highlighted

Thank you so much @Jess1-RO 🥰

Yes it was very distressing to see.. also didn’t help that I had the same dream 4 times last night of a plane crashing right in front of me. It’s like haunting me Smiley Sad I don’t really have anyone I can talk to about it.. I was on my own when I saw it. I just don’t know what to do. Everytime I try do something nice it just slips my mind again and again

Thank you for your help Heart (also that gif has an important message too! Thanks!)
Highlighted

Hi @Bananatime04,

The repetitive memories sound really tough to sit with Heart If you need someone to talk to about it when they come up, you are also welcome to start a new thread- I'm sure there are other young people feeling the same thing who would benefit from hearing how you cope with the thoughts!

Highlighted

Thank you @Jess1-RO Heart
I really appreciate it but I can’t use my own threads atm.. maybe it’s something I’ll do next month if it’s still a problem Smiley Happy for now, I have to deal with it on my own.