cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancer Genes

So I have to go for scans and biopsies for a mole on my ribs that could be melanoma. I never really go in the sun and when I do I'm pretty covered so when the doctor told me I had to go for more scans I had no idea what to do. What do I do if it is melanoma? Surgery? Drugs? I've seen what it can do to people and I'm terrified. My Mum had melanoma when I was a baby and was recently diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in her lung and liver. It was horrible seeing her go through it and now I might have to.

Re: Cancer Genes

Hey @Tabs so sorry to hear about your Mum's diagnosis, absolutely can imagine it would be horrible to stand by as you watch your Mum struggle with that. It is very understandable to have concerns around your own health in addition, and you mentioned you have been really careful in the sun as well so completely makes sense to feel shaken by this.

When is the scan and biopsy? Honestly the best advice I can give you is to try and dedicate some worry time each day, maybe thirty minutes of journalling your concerns. And outside of that try your best to still enjoy your life and make the most of each day. When you see the Doc, a lot of your concerns will be addressed. The fear of the unknown sucks sometimes, but we do have control over how much we let that fear control us.

I will tag some of our other members too, this thread deserves heaps of love   Smiley Happy  Heart

@May_ @safari93 @JanaG @redhead @Asche

Highlighted

@Bree-RO The scans are on the 4th Oct and the biopsy is on the 11th Oct. I'm trying to stay positive but just kinda questioning everything 

@Tabs hi welcome to ReachOut.
Sorry to hear about your mum and more recently your scan and biopsy.

My dad went through a melanoma, he was lucky they got it early and he only needed surgery. Same with my step father who had melanoma last year.

I have cancer genes and regular check up for my moles and sometimes I look at them and wonder. I know that's not the same as what your going through but Im thinking of you.

Do you have strategies on how to cope with the anxiety until your appointments?
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Hey there @Tabs :-)

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I think it's totally understandable to be worried given your family history. Do you have some activities/strategies that normally work to keep you calm?

@scared01
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@redhead I hope you and your family are okay. 

When I'm in the shower sometimes I look and I think oh this little mole could be the one that changes my life. 

I don't really have any coping strategies to deal with this kind of situation. I've just been looking up the details of a biopsy procedure 

hello @Tabs and welcome to the Forums

just yesterday i was diagnosed with having a melanoma myself. its come as quite a shock. i hahve surgury to have it removed monday as its urgent. since they ahhve scheduled yours take that as a good sign and they arent too worried. if they were extremely worried they would get in asap or refer you to someone who can do it urgently.

if a double appointment comes up tomorrow theres a chance ill be going in tomorrow.

its very nerve wracking and hard to just sit with. i understand.

the waiting part is the hardest thing of all.

the only thing i can suggest is to take a breather when things become over whelming, the more you think about it the worse itll seem but take a bit of releif knowing they have booked you in but becasue its not super close they arent too worried about it.

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hey @Tabs,

I hope you're doing ok! I get how you feel seeing someone with cancer. One of my family members had chronic leukemia and that was pretty much uncurable at this point in time. 

How does it make you feel looking up the procedures of the biopsy? Does it feel better knowing more information about it or is it the opposite? The unknown can be scary sometimes so perhaps this in of itself is one coping mechanism you've developed automatically?

We'll always be here to talk you through this Heart

Hey @Tabs, just checking in Smiley Happy Have you had a bit of a chance to process everything now, or as time goes on are you getting more and more worried? I really love @Bree-RO's suggestion of setting yourself worry time, if you're not that into journalling ReachOut also have a app that can help you allocate worry time - I can't find the link to the app atm but if you search 'Worry Time" in the App Store it comes up! Is this something you'd be interested in trying/have tried before?