cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Christmas Blues/ Moving Out

Hey everyone.

Merry Christmas by the way, hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

I'm feeling really down this year.

I dont know, it was just a constant struggle this year im not sure If I even enjoyed anything.

I just got into university (Art School) and that was super stressful.

Now it's the end of the year and next year im moving out into the uni dorms because home-life is getting way hectic and I can't really concentrate or study properly. 

I can't help but worry about financial things when I move into one of the uni dorms.

I have never been away from my family for more then two weeks at most and now i'm going to be away for 4 years minus this year so 3. 

This Christmas as people around me act joyful, i just feel alone and sad like no one understands what i'm going through at home. 

...Everythings going to change and be different....

i wouldn't be able to say hello to my little brother in the morning anymore, or joke around with my older brother or go for walks and talk with my mum anymore. 

I'd be so far away. 

and i miss them so, so much. 

I don't really know how to be an adult and all of a sudden im being thrown into an environment where im unsure and i feel alone. 

My mum said she will help me with my financial stuff...but i just ...feel so sad, its like this year will be the last time i spend with my family all together like this.

It feels like its the last time. 

I'm not too good at making friends either...

I know it will teach me to be an adult and that I will learn how to function on my own.

But right now...im just sitting in my room...staring at whats going to used to be my room.

I dont know how to pay bills.

I dont know how to shop for 1 singular person.

I don't know how to put myself out there for social situations.

To top it off I don't even think I can afford the rent, out of the money I'm making by studying.

So yeah those are some of the things that are worrying me i just really needed to get this off my chest.

.......and admit something that I probably havent for a long time.

...............Im scared

Any advice for someone moving into a uni dorm for the first time?

or 

Any stories simular to mine you would like to share?

I would just like to know that I'm not the only one out here feeling this way. 

Thanks sincerely AStudyInHuman

Highlighted

Re: Christmas Blues/ Moving Out

Hi @AStudyInHuman,

Thanks for sharing how you've been feeling and merry Christmas to you too Smiley Happy Congrats on getting into Art School!

It sounds like you've been feeling worried about the uncertainty ahead and what might be coming up with moving away from family... the financially and being away from loved ones. I don't have experience of moving out of home but it does sound like a big change in life. I've found a couple of Getting Real session threads on moving away from home and managing money that might be helpful.

I can completely relate to feeling unsure about how to put myself out there in social situations when starting uni, and was really worried about not being able to make any friends there. I was super shy and thinking about talking to people I've never met before got me feeling pretty nervous. It helped to remember that many others in my classes are in a similar boat and feeling just as nervous about making new friends -so sometimes I just tried taking the first step to say 'hi'.

Highlighted

Re: Christmas Blues/ Moving Out

Hi @AStudyInHuman and thanks for sharing this part of your story with us.

Congratulations on getting into art school - that's a great acheivement!

In regards to making friends at uni, that was something I struggled with a lot too. I found that once I started saying "yes" to things, like volunteering or even just starting a conversation with someone new, my whole life changed for the better. I know it can be scary (it certainly was for me), and that's totally understandable.

In regards to missing your family, do you think you could organise to talk to them regularly e.g. a weekly or daily phone call or Skype session?

Happy holidays!  

// Spiral outward, keep going. //