cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Confused and scared

My gp doesn't know that many good people. I have to find them myself if I want someone I can work with,

have you tried headspace? @Tiny_leaf
they have a few therapists at each of their centres so they can match you with one and if you dont like them you can talk to another one
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Only once, when I was being assessed for their psychosis program. (I was apparently functioning too well to be psychotic so I didn't get in)

Though I might be able to check for that.

headspace is for anyone within the ages of 14-25, you just need a refferral. sometimes theres abit of a waitlist but usually not more than a month or 2 @Tiny_leaf

Alright, I'll check that out when I can. And thank you/

no probs. hope you can work out a better arrangement so you can get the support you deserve

Hi @Tiny_leaf
I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through that and that your psychologist has been judgemental. As a psychology student this bugs me so much when psychologists are like this Smiley Sad There's definitely hope to find a good match for you! I know on ReachOut many people have had to try a few psychologists to find the one that they really like. @scared01 has mentioned some great resources, I think headspace would also be worth checking! They might have some resources to help you in the meantime as well.
Please keep us updated on how you go!

Hi @missep

In that case I think I have have a few stories that'd probably bug you a lot...

And I heard of one person who had to try like 13 before they found a good match, I'm just hoping it won't take me that long...

Since you're a psychology student and probably have more experience than me, do you know of any signs/ behaviors that suggest a bad psychologist? I probably need to get better at recognizing them early before they start doing damage/ wasting too much energy.... 

@Tiny_leaf
I'm sorry to hear that! I have known a lot of people who only have try a couple usually before finding the right one for them. That person who tried 13, that's a lot! Did they end up liking the one they stuck with?

It's hard to say for sure but a good psychologist is usually:
-non judgmental
-empathetic
-you feel comfortable talking to them
-they show that they really understand you

In saying this though it can be uncomfortable to speak to someone at first because it can be difficult subjects to talk about but I think in the first session you usually will know if you would want to 'give them a try' or not. There's definitely hope in finding a good one though! It's unfortunate you haven't had the best experiences with them but there's definitely hope.