cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Coping strategies

Not really sure what is going on between my parents at home,but they had a argument earlier today & now they are not talking & I’m not really sure what to do either any ideas?

Highlighted

Re: Coping strategies

Hi @Love_elmo77  !

I hope you are okay and things are all good with your family. In terms of what you should do, I think just wait and give them some time and space, and maybe they will sort things out themselves and if things get better, then you can ask them about it.

Alternatively, if you think that things are different and something happened that they're still going through, then try talking to the parent you are more comfortable with and see if they are willing to let you in on the issue.

There is a balance between family issues that you should know about, and things that are more resolved between parents.

Hope things are okay friend.

Highlighted

Hey @Love_elmo77, thanks for sharing. That sounds like a really tough situation to be in Heart It really sucks when parents fight, it can leave you feeling a bit helpless and stuck. It can be common for people to need a little space after having an argument.. maybe this is what your parents are going through. What are you referring to when you say that you aren't sure what to do? Do you think you would be able to share your feelings with your parents? Sometimes it can help to clarify the situation and understand what is actually going on Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Hey @Anzelmo i agree with you on giving them space to sort things out, what happens if i don’t trust either of my parents who are abusive would i still ask them what is going on or should i just act normal like nothing happened?
Highlighted

Hey @Love_elmo77 , I'm sorry to hear that your parents are abusive, do you mind sharing a  bit more about what you mean by that? 

Check out our community activities calendar for August 2020 here
Highlighted

Hi @Janine-RO some examples would be like one time i brought up counselling to my mum and even sent her a headspace website link to her and asked if i could get counselling after our house got robbed & my mum told my dad and they both had a laugh about it and brushed it off like it wasn’t important,i ended up doing web chat counselling on kids helpline about it and never really told them i got counselling.Another example would be dad always talking about how much food i eat and saying like if you keep eating so much food like this you’ll get fat
Highlighted

hey @Love_elmo77

I am really sorry to hear that you're having a tough time with your parents. It's really unfair that they weren't supportive of you seeing a counsellor, and it's very unkind for your dad to say that sort of stuff about food and your eating. It's fantastic that you were able to talk to Kids Helpline, do you use this service regularly to talk through how you're feeling?

Highlighted

Hey @Andrea-RO no i dont use kids helpline regularly
Highlighted

Hey @Love_elmo77 , it sounds like you're really switched on and in tune with what you need to stay strong mentally, and that's really awesome - I'm really sorry to hear that your parents weren't very supportive of that. eHeadspace is another service you could use if you ever want to talk through things with a professional, they have webchat and phone services that are free for anyone aged 12-25. Do you think that's something you'd feel comfortable giving a try, if you feel like you need to?

We also have  an article that talks about ways to cope with your parents fighting all of the time 

I've just popped a link to that here in case you find it helpful Smiley Happy

Check out our community activities calendar for August 2020 here
Highlighted

@Janine-RO Sort of