cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coping with life post operation

Heya everyone,

So as some of you know I had to have an operation on my foot to fix it. That happened last week on Tuesday!During the last week I've been battling with lack of mobility - as I have a back-slab plaster cast on my lower leg which is SOO heavy! And I'm not allowed to stand on it for about 12 weeks/3 months, with regular reviews to check on how the healing is going. Along with the that I'm in a lot of physical pain - it hurts to be standing up with my right foot hanging down, so I must have it resting up which it okay, but the pain can be unbearable and make moving around so difficult and draining!

I'm on some strong pain killers but they don't dull the pain completely. So I'm seeing a GP tomorrow.

With all of this pain and lack of mobility I've had a couple nights where I've cried myself to sleep. Of these sometimes I've felt completely overwhelmed by everything and just felt like it was all totally unfair.

I've felt like such a burden on my family at times because I am limited in what I can do, but on the flip side I feel like they aren't supporting me enough... My mum does the best she can which I appreciate with her lack of energy due to her health conditions. My dad sometimes helps and it really good but then he turns around and makes a snide comment or complains - which can be really hard to cope with at times. And my brother flatly refuses to help me at all, yet he'll "joke" around about hitting/kicking/dropping the cats on my cast and cannot see why I get frustrated with him.

I am frustrated because there isn't a whole lot of room at home, as it's a small house, so using the scooter can be a challenge because of narrow walkways and not being able to do a uturn, I often have to pick up one end of the scooter to move it around to turn! And crutches are a pain, and there isn't really the space to use crutches confidently either!  Ugh it's just frustrating!

Sorry for the huge rant, I wanted this to be positive and to update you all on how I'm going as I know quite a few of you are interested to hear about it all Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Re: Coping with life post operation

im so proud of you for staying so positive!! @Bee

im sorry it’s been a bit painful and frustrating Smiley Sad i wish there was a way for you to not suffer too much from this surgery :/ thats quite unfair about the snide comments from your dad and your brother being really unhelpful, at least your parents are trying their best ! i hope you’re feeling okay atm HeartHeart

hey @Bee rant away! that sounds really really tough, im feeling for you and sending some well wishes.
im wondering if you would be elidagable for like a carer for a short time for when family arent at home or for just that extra support? obviously it wont be a long term things but just until your more recovered..
that pain sounds really horrible, i hoep the new gp can help more with that.
have you got some things to do while your resting? like colouring in, other arts and crafts, reading books, studying, umm im having a mental blank lol.

i can hear how your trying to stay positive and that is soooo amazing! huge kudos to you! Heart
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hey @Bee thank you for updating us. I'm proud of you for ypdoing your best to stay positive, I really hope the GP appointment tomorrow will bring some solutions to the pain.

Life really is so unfair sometimes, isn't it? It sucks that you're going through this.  Is there anything in your life right now that you enjoy doing - like writing or art or reading - that could be a positive distraction while you're not very mobile? 

It sounds super frustrating that your family isn't always supportive, perhaps you could ask your GP to call your parents and talk to them about what you need as you recover? 

Huge huge hugs @Bee, we're always here to listen if you need to rant Heart

Rant away @Bee Smiley Happy

You are never a burden, I know that it feels like that, especially when families (and brothers) can be pricks. You are doing amazing!!! The fact that you continue to do as you normally would with your amazing colouring ins, awesome insights and posts on the forums and general greatness is so impressive and inspiring!

I hope it went well with your GP Smiley Happy

Thanks to everyone who responded, you make me feel loved <3

@litgym the pain I can manage I guess, I knew it was coming, I knew it would be difficult with my family.

@scared01 thank you <3
I was wondering that, but when I mentioned to mum that I was thinking about it she kinda acted like it wasn't needed. So I haven't even bothered :/
It's the same GP I've been seeing since my regular one went on Maternity leave, right now I just wish she was back already - I miss her Smiley Sad
I've got plenty of things to do, it's just getting time to do them when I need to. Like earlier tonight I was going to have a shower and I ran into something someone put right in the walkway and my brother just kept being rude about it and with pms it just threw me completely, that's after of course I did days worth of dishes because no one else would and we ran out of clean glasses and cutlery Smiley Sad And it just hurts so damn much Smiley Sad Right now I just want to cry because home feels so very very difficult and I just. gah it's hard :'(

@DruidChild thanks, my GP gave me a long acting pain killer at a strongish dose and said we'd taper it down every 2 weeks as I'm tolerating the pain more. Which works out better as I won't be having the other med frequently which can be habit forming - which we don't want. But he was good and listened to my pain which was nice.
I'm dong things I enjoy as much as I can, it just feels stuck sometimes as it's really hard to be in the same place all the time and not get out, it just feels lonely
My parents KNOW how hard a surgery this was, they KNOW I need help, it's just getting it at times can be a struggle because I CAN do some things with the knee scooter, but my dad doesn't comprehend pain very well Smiley Sad Getting anyone to talk to them probably wouldn't help, I have to show them...
Thanks for the hugs, I need them right now x

@N1ghtW1ng thank you so much! <3 that means a lot x
It went well with my gp (read above, because I'm too lazy to retype Smiley Tongue)

@Bee maybe at your next gp appointment you could meantion it? you dont need your parent permission esp if your over 18. its so hard when families just dont get it or they know you cant do much yet they like to make life harder than what it already is.
hugs Heart

@scared01 I have an apt tomorrow with a different GP to see if I can get a temp disability parking thing, because it's so hard to get out without the door wide with my foot :/ and the scooter it's difficult with a car parked close.
I'm a bit reluctant to, now that I've thought about it and that, I kind worry that the resources are better used for people who really need the help, like I can kinda do stuff, and there are 3 other mobile capable people in the house, so I kind of feel like I wouldn't actually get any help and I'd feel guilty for taking it when someone who doens't have any help could use it. If that makes sense.

thats ok @Bee whatever your comfortable with. i do hope you can get a temp disability sticker, can imagine it would be pretty hard getting in, out and moving around esp over long distances.
Highlighted

@scared01 thanks, yeah it can be a bit of challenge, but we're getting there Smiley Happy
I'll update as I know Smiley Happy