cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Day 1 of getting sober

Today I woke up and realised my life had completely fallen apart. I have to drink every day to cope but it’s made everything worse and I now realise I have been in denial. I have ruined my own life and I am miserable 

Highlighted

Re: Day 1 of getting sober

Hi @Thisisnotmyname 

Congratulations on deciding to get sober, that's a really big step!!

Do you have any supports to help you through this? That might make it a bit easier for you to stick to your goals.

Also, if you need any resources, I've collected a few here:

Counselling Online offers free counselling for people affected by drugs or alcohol, and their helpline is open 24 hours a day.

Lifeline has a 24 hour crisis line, plus online webchat to help anyone in a crisis.

Finding a psychologist can help you find healthier coping strategies. This link takes you to a page where you can search for a psychologist by their location and what issues they help with, including addictions and alcohol dependence. 

If a private psychologist is too expensive, you might be able to use a Headspace service.

Highlighted

Hi @Thisisnotmyname , 

Thank you so much for reaching out here, it takes a lot to have the courage to admit that you may have a problem with alcohol, and you're definitely not alone. 

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to check them out, but there's some handy resources on the next steps to take if you're worried about your alcohol use . You say that you have to drink every day to cope, there are lot of services that can help you to reduce your drinking. It's easy to feel down on ourselves, and I hear you when you say you feel like you've ruined your own life - a lot of people have been where you are now, and have been able to transform their lives. There is hope, and there's a community here to support you while you take these next steps. 

Do you think you would feel comfortable having a chat to your GP, or calling one of the services that I've listed as a next step? 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Hey @Thisisnotmyname,

That's huge. Recognising that your drinking is problematic and is getting in the way of the other stuff you want to do is a really important first step. I totally agree with the suggestions from other users. What supports do you have in place at the moment to help you in this new journey? 

Hi @Thisisnotmyname,

Just wanted to check in and see how you are going?

I have a bit of contact with some of the team at Turning Point who also have an amazing community that supports those recovering from addiction. I thought I would pass this site onto you if you want to read through some of the ways others have worked on their recovery. It's a similar service to one of the others listed above, but has a much stronger focus on those in recovery supporting each other

Check out our community activities calendar here