cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with death

Hi, I haven't posted in a long time but I'm feeling pretty lost right now. I had a close friend die the other day and I'm not coping, I don't know what to do, I'm so tired I don't remember things, my mind feels detached, my head in general just feels quite empty. I'm definitely depressed, I know that, but I hope I'll fall out of this slump soon. My sleeping patterns are all over the place, I'm sleeping during the day and waking up at 7.30pm. The funeral is on Monday Smiley Sad

Re: Dealing with death

Hey baconlover,

I hope someone soon will offer you some good advice. I just wanna check in and let you know I hope you feel better soon.
Hope you can find someone to talk to here or in real life soon. Take care. 

Not sure if my advice is right but it is part of life that events happen and its important to know that you wont be stuck like this for too long. Take care.

Hey @Lisalovesbacon - really sorry to hear about your friend that must be a big shock and you must be really struggling to come to terms with the loss.

Grief is a normal response to death so don't be too worried that everything is overwhelming and topsy turvy right now. It's expected that you'll be having a big response to this as your friend was close and also young... So just take the time to do whatever you need right now, and if that's sleeping a lot then that's OK. Everyone is different and will grieve differently so try not to compare yourself to how your other friends might be grieving.

Funerals are hard but ultimately part of a process that helps you start to say goodbye and come to terms with it all....

Please have a read of:
http://au.reachout.com/common-reactions-to-death
and
http://au.reachout.com/working-through-grief

We're thinking of you and this terrible loss....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey @Lisalovesbacon, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Losing a close friend is an extremely hard thing to go through. It's important to remember to take the time you need to grieve and also that everyone grieves in their own way. So don't feel like the way you're handling things is wrong - if you need to sleep at strange times, make sure you get that rest your body is needing. It's such an emotionally draining process so you might feel more tired than usual at times.

When you feel like you're ready, talking about how you're feeling with your other close friends and family members - or even just being around them - can really help too. And we're always here to offer our support too.

Hi,
Sorry I don't have a lot to offer but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. This time last year I lost two people in my life and one of them a friend of mine. It is difficult to say the least but you can do it.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thanks so much guys, I'm sleeping but I wake up exhausted. I'm very sleep deprived and I think that's making everything worse. Do people have trouble sleeping when they're grieving? I feel like I'll be upset forever.

Hey @Lisalovesbacon
I am so very sorry for your loss. Lots of things can happen with grief. Not sleeping much or even sleeping a lot and STILL feeling tired are very common physical things that can happen because of grief and loss.

It's okay for things to be a little different right now. The important thing is to give yourself time to process this and to get the support you need. Remember, while you might need some space right now, you are definitely not alone! Don't be afraid to reach out to friends, family or places like Lifeline if you need to. 

I notice that @Sophie-RO passed on a few things that we have written about on grief and loss, I also like this article:

http://au.reachout.com/building-better-coping-skills

There's a list there of lots of coping strategies. Are there any that you think might be helpful for you at this time?

ReachOut is here for you!

Thinking of you @Lisalovesbacon. I hope you are ok.

Highlighted

Hey @Lisalovesbacon

So sorry to hear about your loss, I can't imagine how tough it must be for you right now. 

Just wanted to let you know that we're all thinking of you. Feel free to reach out to anyone you feel comfortable talking to, including services like Lifeline if you ever feel really overwhlemed. 

Thanks! Went to read that article but the link isn't working for me.