cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Depression and self-harm - nothings helping!

i trust my dad and my counselor, but I'm scared of what they will do if i tell them about the self-harm.
im not fighting it on my own anymore, but even with help it's still to hard Smiley Sad

If your parents, specifically your dad, found out about your self harm, what are you afraid their reaction will be?

considering i only live with my dad... he probably wouldnt leave me home alone he'd take away my razors, take the knives out of the kitchen and he'd be forever on my back on about it.

If he did that, would it stop you from self-harming or just make you feel worse?

Highlighted

it would make me feel worse, i'd want to cut more. Smiley Sad

I can understand that. When you're being forced to stop something, it can often make you want it more. I know it's all pretty raw and emotional right now, but is there anything your dad can do that would make it a bit better and help you out?

i don't think he can do anything to help Smiley Sad

Hey Jess,

I really relate to your story - I was in a very similar place at one point and I know how terribly difficult it can be to NOT self-harm, but it CAN get better.

It might seem as though your dad won't understand or that he'll become really overprotective (which is totally a natural thing for him to do and shows that he REALLY cares), but having it out in the open and having that support from someone like that is SO important.

It is REALLY important to be honest and open with your counsellor - that's what they are there for.

If you feel like self-harming, I would really recommend giving Kids Help Line a call - I found it MUCH easier to tell my counsellor on there about my self-harming than anyone in real life. It is a very common problem that Kids Help Line gets calls about so they are really good at providing you with distractions. Their phone number is 1800 551 800. I used to call them in the early hours of the morning or late at night when everyone was asleep. It was just great to talk to someone honestly and openly and not be judged. But it is SO important that you talk to your counsellor too. She's the best person who can help you.

Have you got some distractions in place for when the urge to self-harm comes? It might help if you tell yourself to wait 10 minutes, in that 10 minutes, write down how you are feeling in a book, come to terms with your surroundings and breathe deeply. After that 10 minutes the feeling will have probably passed and if it hasn't, you've gone 10 minutes without self-harming, so see if you can go for another 10 minutes. Over time it will get easier.

Please take good care of yourself - things CAN get better.

MM.

i really try to tell my counselor, but o can never get it out. if i cant talk about it with someone i know and trust how am i going to talk to a stranger over the phone about it? i've tried distracting myself from self harm, but nothing works